|Type of record:||Monument|
The park that surrounds Sheringham Hall (NHER 6297) was Humphry Repton's last commission before his death in 1818. Repton produced a Red Book, containing his recommendations for the layout of the park, in 1812, and work on the park was almost complete by 1817. The entrance drive was carefully planned so that visitors to the park would not see the dramatic view of the house against the backdrop of the sea until the last moment. The temple, which stands on a high point in the park overlooking the house, was built in 1975 to one of Repton's designs that was never carried out. The impressive rhodedendron collection was started in the 1850s in the woods at the edge of the park. Repton himself considered Sheringham to be his favourite commission, and the park is now regarded by many as his finest work. The park is now in the care of the National Trust, and is open to the public.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 134 418|
|Parish:||UPPER SHERINGHAM, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Historic Parkland Grade II*, see (S1).
Centred on hall (NHER 6297) this is regarded as Humphrey Repton's finest work. Red book submitted in 1812 but hall not completed until 1839, so park presumably laid out around this time. Acquired by National Trust 1986.
E. Rose (NAU), 29 August 1986.
In fact according to (S1) and (S2), although the house was not inhabited until 1839 it was complete by 1817. Upper Sheringham to Weybourne road was diverted to make the park, and a new carriage entrance was made from southeast to provide a dramatic view of house and sea. The temple was designed by Repton not built until 1976. Kitchen garden to north. Flower gardens to Repton's design but conservatory probably never built.
(S1)'s text confusingly refers to Sheringham Wood (NHER 51360) as outside the park but it is included within the grade II* designation; however The Dales and Carolines Plantation are omitted; they are within the NHER designation as they seem clearly to be part of the overall plan.
E. Rose (NLA) 15 March 1994.
An appeal for funds to restore the park was launched in 1987 (S4). New wooden gates for the main entrance based on Humphry Repton's original designs were installed in 1989 (S5). A bequest to the park in 1997 (S6) enabled further projects such as the conversion of two farm buildings to holiday accommodation. See (S7) for a painting of a view of Sheringham Bower and further details of the life of Humphry Repton.
Information from (S4-S7).
H. Hamilton (NLA), 26 March 2008.
English Nature identified Oak Wood, Cracking Hill, and Sheringham Wood as areas of potential ancient woodland.
Information from (S3).
H. Hamilton (NLA), 19 March 2008.
January 2007 and January 2008. Earthwork Rapid Identification Survey.
A rapid survey was conducted of Oak Wood, Crackling Hill, and Sheringham Wood in order to assist in long-term management of these three areas of potential ancient woodland. The survey resulted in the identification of a variety of previously unidentified features in Oak Wood (see NHER 38264) and Sheringham Wood, including possible World War Two trenches and buildings, former wood boundary See report (S3) for further details.
H. Hamilton (NLA), 19 March 2008.
November 2009. Watching Brief.
Monitoring of groundworks associated with the upgrading of the fire prevention water supply at Sheringham Hall. No archaeological finds or features observed.
See report (S8) for further details.
S. Howard (NLA), 16 March 2010
- DRIVE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- LANDSCAPE PARK (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- GARDEN TEMPLE (1975, Early 20th Century to 21st Century - 1901 AD to 2100 AD)
- GAZEBO (Early 20th Century to 21st Century - 1901 AD to 2100 AD)
Associated Finds - none
- Registered Park or Garden
Sources and further reading
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1986. Hall set to become Trust's latest jewel. 28 August. |
|---||Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1995. TG 1342G - K. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Photograph: NIAS. 1999. Smithdale water tank on the Mount, Sheringham Park.. Print. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Designation: English Heritage. Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England.. |
|<S2>||Unpublished Document: Norfolk County Council. [unknown]. Inventory of Historic Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in Norfolk.. |
|<S3>||Unpublished Contractor Report: Cushion, B. 2008. Sheringham Park. Ancient Woodland Archaeological Earthwork Rapid Identification Survey. Brian Cushion Archaeological & Cartographical Surveyor. |
|<S4>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1987. Prince to be patron of park appeal. 19 March. |
|<S5>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1989. New gates. 14 April. |
|<S6>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1997. Trust legacies for 'near paradise'. 3 September. |
|<S7>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2002. Vision of a better future for the face of England. 22 April. |
|<S8>||Unpublished Contractor Report: Bown, J. 2009. An Archaeological Watching Brief at Sheringham Park, Norfolk. NAU Archaeology. 2250. |
|<S9>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2012. Park's rich history comes to life in a new exhibition. 8 September. |
|51368||Related to: Saw Mill, Sheringham Wood. (Building)|
|6297||Related to: Sheringham Hall (Building)|
Find out more...