|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of Broomhill or Bromehill Augustinian Priory|
This is the site of Broomhill Priory, which was built around 1220 by Sir Hugh De Plaiz, the Lord of Weeting Manor. It was an Augustinian order of Black Canons, and in 1224 a two day fair was established. The Priory included a windmill as well as more than 2000 sheep. It was suppressed in 1528 following complaints about the food, the lack of servants, and the disrepair of the buildings. After the supression the buildings were demolished almost immediately and the lead sold off. It has been suggested that this is the site of the deserted village of Kebburn, but this is thought unlikely.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TL 7898 8758|
|Parish:||WEETING WITH BROOMHILL, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
Site of Priory. Deserted village? Fairstead.
Late post medieval house with reused masonry demolished 1983.
18th century: key found.
1885: skeletons and pottery found.
1980. Flint flake found.
For full details and photos see file.
E. Rose (NAU).
1989-1990. Metal detecting.
Late Saxon key, medieval brooch and buckle.
See list in file.
A. Rogerson (NLA), 17 July 2007.
- DESERTED SETTLEMENT? (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- INHUMATION (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- PRIORY (Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1528 AD?)
- MARKET (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1224 AD to 1872 AD)
- HOUSE (Post Medieval to Cold War - 1540 AD? to 1983 AD)
- LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Prehistoric - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
- KEY (LOCKING) (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- BROOCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- BUCKLE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- HUMAN REMAINS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- KEY (LOCKING) (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Photograph: I&RS. Finds Polaroid. Polaroid. |
|---||Archive: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Wetting . |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|---||Photograph: CLU 24-5. |
|<S1>||Serial: Pevsner, N.. The Buildings of England.. |
|<S2>||Map: Bryant. 1826. Bryant's Map of Norfolk. |
|<S3>||Serial: Blomefield, F.. 1805. An Essay Towards a Topographical History of the County of Norfolk.. Vol II. |
|<S4>||Publication: Knowles, D. and Hadcock, R. N. 1971. Medieval Religious Houses of England and Wales. pp 138, 150. |
|<S5>||Publication: Norgate, F.. 1897. Zoologist. |
|<S6>||Unpublished Document: Clarke, W. G. 1919-1927. Norfolk Notes. 30 August 1919. |
|<S7>||Unpublished Document: Moore, G. (Weeting History Group). 2002. The History of Broomhill Priory and Fair, Weeting, Norfolk.. |
Related records - none
Find out more...