Record Details

NHER Number:5531
Type of record:Monument
Name:North Lynn deserted medieval village and church

Summary

The site of North Lynn deserted medieval settlement. The village church of St Edmund was washed away in 1271 and the ruins again flooded in the 17th century, after which the remaining stonework was removed. Excavations in the 1950s and 1960s revealed the foundations of the church and other buildings and evidence of industrial activity, together with tiles, pottery fragments, stained glass and window leading. Today, the site is occupied by a vast agro-chemical works. See also NHER 27889.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TF 6135 2115
Map Sheet:TF62SW
Parish:KING’S LYNN, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

EARTHWORKS AND CROPMARKS OF THIS SITE ARE ALSO RECORDED UNDER NMP SITE NHER 27889.

1953. Excavation of possible St. Edmund's Church and other buildings of North Lynn deserted village, building material, tiles, stained glass etc. Press cutting (S1) in file.

1960. Field Visit.
R.R. Clarke reported that this site was to be developed on and built over by a new chemical factory.
G. Hurst and R. R. Clarke visited the site and reported that since trial trenching in 1953 which revealed extensive foundations, that the site has been levelled and ploughed.
See (S3) for short summary.

1965. Medieval sherds found.
1966. Excavation also include Late Saxon kilns?.

1967. Excavation.
Carried out by E.J. Talbot (KLAS) on the remaining portion of the DMV (90 ft. by 120 ft). this revealed the plan of what seems to be a farm which had associated industrial structures, of which the occupation finishes in c. 1500. Deeper excavation revealed deposits that go back to the 13th century. There are no traces of St. Edmund’s Church which was destroyed by the floods in the 18th century.
Information taken form (S4)

1979. Medieval sherds and metalwork found in pipe laying.
See details in file.
Appropriate section from reference (S2) in file.
E. Rose (NLA), 21 May 1990 amended by M. Langham-Lopez (HES), 02 May 2013.

Monument Types

  • KILN (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
  • BUILDING (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • BUILDING (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • DESERTED SETTLEMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • FONT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • INDUSTRIAL SITE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Associated Finds

  • ANIMAL REMAINS (Unknown date)
  • NECKLACE (Unknown date)
  • POT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
  • ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • COFFIN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • FLOOR TILE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • HUMAN REMAINS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • MORTAR (VESSEL) (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • QUERN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • STAINED GLASS (WINDOW) (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Article in serial: Green, C., Rigold, S. E. and Clarke, R. R. 1954. Other Archaeological Excavations 1953. Norfolk Research Committee Bulletin. Series 1 No 6 (for 1953) pp 2-4. p 3.
---Serial: 1967. Council for British Archaeology Group 7 Bulletin of Archaeological Discoveries for 1967. No 14. p 6-7.
---Vertical Aerial Photograph: RAF. 1943. RAF AC/161/140 5062-3 01-JAN-1943 (NMR).
---Vertical Aerial Photograph: RAF. 1945. RAF 106G/UK/401 4001 18-JUN-1945 (NMR).
---Vertical Aerial Photograph: RAF. 1947. RAF CPE/UK/2308 5051-2 11-SEP-1947 (NMR).
---Aerial Photograph: RAF. 1946. RAF 106G/UK/1427 3171 16-APR-1946.
---Archive: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TF 62 SW 2 [3].
---Article in serial: Nicholls, J.. 1967. Preliminary Report on Excavations conducted at King's Lynn. Norfolk Research Committee Bulletin. Series 1 No 17 pp 15-16.
---Archive: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. King's Lynn [4].
---Secondary File: Secondary file.
<S1>Newspaper Article: Lynn News. 1953. May.
<S2>Publication: Batcock, N. 1991. The Ruined and Disused Churches of Norfolk. East Anglian Archaeology, 51. Microfiche 5:G12.
<S3>Article in serial: Wilson, D. M. and Hurst, D. G. 1962. Medieval Britain in 1960. Medieval Archaeology. Vol IV (for 1961) pp 309-339. p 333.
<S4>Article in serial: Wilson, D. M. and Hurst, D. G. 1969. Medieval Britain in 1967. Medieval Archaeology. Vol XII (for 1968) pp 155-211. p201.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2018 Norfolk Historic Environment Service