|Type of record:||Find Spot|
|Name:||Medieval and later finds and features, Castle House/Davey Place|
At sometime prior to 1847 a selection of Roman coins were found during the digging of house foundations here. Archaeological excavations were carried out here in 1996 in advance of the Castle House block. This work discovered a medieval pit with pottery sherds and a post medieval cellar as well as many solution holes. These features related to medieval occupation and the infilling of the Great Cockey Valley.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 23079 08488|
|Parish:||NORWICH, NORWICH, NORFOLK|
Pre 1847. Approximate location. South side of Davey Place, in digging foundations for house at east end. (Now Gooses' Record Shop 1962).
'Several Roman coins'.
R. R. Clarke (NCM).
1996. Excavation by NAU in advance of underpinning of Castle House block (includes above-mentioned shop).
Late Saxon/Medieval sherds found.
Many solution holes found; medieval pit with pottery, post medieval cellars.
Infilling of Great Cockey valley?
Report (S1) in file.
E. Rose (NLA) 16 March 1999.
- FLOOR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- PIT (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- CELLAR (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- WELL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- COIN (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- POT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- ANIMAL REMAINS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- BIRD REMAINS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FISH REMAINS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- MOLLUSCA REMAINS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Archive: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Norwich - Roman. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Unpublished document: Moss, N., Percival, J. and Forrest, K. 1999. NAU Report No. 303. Report on a Watching Brief at Castle House, Norwich. |
|Mon 1322||Parent of: Back of the Inns (Cockey Lane) (Monument)|
|Site 2021||Parent of: Castle House, Castle Meadow (Monument)|
|Mon 134||Part of: Castle Street (Monument)|
|429||Part of: Norwich Castle, Norwich Castle Museum and Art Gallery (Monument)|
Find out more...