|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Remains of St George's Nunnery in the grounds of Nunnery Place, Nuns Bridges Road|
This building stands to the southeast of the Benedictine Nunnery of St George (NHER 5892). It may be the site of a hospital building that was founded in 1120 but the structure that remains dates to the late medieval period and was altered in the 17th century. It is made from clunch, limestone and flint with reused ashlar and some brick dressings. The plan is rectangular with a narrower north extension. The west side has stepped buttresses whilst the east façade has several blocked openings. Although originally a two storey structure, only the first storey now remains.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TL 87316 82222|
|Parish:||THETFORD, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
Remains of St George's Nunnery (NHER 5892) in grounds of Nunnery Place House.
Conventual building to southeast of Benedictine nunnery of St George, possibly hospital. Founded around 1160, but remaining buildings late medieval, altered 17th century. Clunch, limestone and flint with ashlar and some brick dressings. Considerable amount of reused ashlar. No roof. Rectangular plan with narrower north extension. One storey, formerly of two. West side with stepped buttresses. West side of north extension has two blocked four-light stone mullioned windows, and one late medieval doorway under a four-centred arch with hoodmould. East façade with several blocked openings. Two doorways and a chamfered plinth.
See (S1) for further details.
September 1985. Site Visit.
Structural remains on the site were examined by A. Rogerson during a brief site visit.
A roofless structure (NHER 46329) was noted to be in line with the east range of the cloister site and it was suggested that this may have been a reredorter or an infirmary.
SEE NHER 5892 FOR FURTHER DETAILS.
H. Hamilton (NLA), 31 October 2008.
1987. Revised Listing by S. Heywood.
Ruin to South. Late medieval conventual building restored in the 16th/17th century, since ruinated. Rectangular, much re-used ashlar; clunch and flint construction. Formerly two storeys with staged buttresses to the west. The west wall has windows and a late medieval doorway; the east façade has openings. Grade II*.
Extracted from Listing by E. Rose (NAU), 7 April 1987.
October 1988. Building Survey.
A detailed survey of the fabric of the standing buildings within the Nunnery grounds was carried out.
See note in secondary file for NHER 5892 (with references to S2) for further details.
H. Hamilton (NLA), 05 November 2008.
- BENEDICTINE NUNNERY (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1140 AD to 1540 AD)
- HOSPITAL? (Medieval - 1140 AD to 1160 AD)
- BUILDING (Medieval to Modern - 1400 AD to 2050 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|<S1>||Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest. |
|<S2>||Illustration: Wilkinson. 1822. Illustrations of Thetford. |
|5892||Part of: St George's Nunnery (Monument)|
Find out more...