|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Park Farm House and barn|
Park Farm House is a 16th century red brick manor house that may have been erected on the site of the earlier bishops' palace (NHER 7656) after the Dissolution. The L-shaped building has two storeys and attics with a single storey 19th century range to the north. The building was altered in the mid 18th century, and radically changed in 1844. Over the door is a medieval stone corbel and terracotta King's head. The east gable wall dates to the 16th century. There are some reused fragments of stone in the building which may come from the bishops' palace (NHER 7656). Nearby is a mid 18th century red brick barn with a steeply pitched oak roof.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 20452 20806|
|Parish:||HEVINGHAM, BROADLAND, NORFOLK|
May 1978. Visit.
Park Farm itself is 17th century brick building with stepped gables including one on a porch tower, unusually set at one end of façade; it has a date that may be 169-. Set in base of west gable wall are two courses of stone blocks, and in east gable above blocked hoodmoulded window is a reset fragment of 14th century, tracery amongst clampirons with 17th century dates (illegible from ground). South façade rebuilt about 1800 but has reset medieval corbel now bearing terracotta king's head found by farmer.
E. Rose (NAU).
(S1) believes house is 16th not 17th century and states it is part of manor house erected on site at Dissolution. The work described as around 1800 above it attributes to mid 18th century, but says also drastic alterations in 1844, which is how the inspector reads the date suggested above as '169-'. The date on the clamp irons is said to be 'M 1661 M'.
A red brick three bay 18th century barn is also listed.
Manor House, 16th century and later. Built of red brick with corrugated smut tiles. L-shaped plan of two storeys and attics with single storey 19th century range to the north. A fragment of the manor house built on the site of the former Bishop's Palace. Altered in the mid 18th century, and radically in 1844. 19th century façade to south three windows with 20th century door in original opening. Casement windows with wrought iron lights and glass quatrels. Brick chamfered reveals, flat chamfered gauged brick arches with moulded brick hood moulds. Shallow brick pilaster to the right of the doorway. Over the door a medieval stone corbel and terracotta King's head. Brick dentil eaves course. 16th century gable wall to east, with brick plinth, blocked window with hood mould and stepped gable. Fragment of stone tracery set high up in wall. Mid 18th century gable wall to west, with plinth, and re-used stone possibly from the Bishop's Palace. First floor casement window and blocked window with segmental brick arches and moulded brick string course at attic floor level. North gable inscribed RM 1844. A tie iron on the east gable is inscribed M. 1661 M.
Mid 18th century barn, of red brick with asbestos sheet roof. Three stead barn, with off centre opening for barn doors. Brick plinth, and honeycomb vents, set in shallow recessed openings. Parapet gables with moulded brick kneelers, plat bands, gable honeycomb vents, owl holes and brick tumbling in. Steeply pitched oak roof with opposed butt purlins and windbraces. Lean-to additions to east and west, not of special interest.
Listing NGR: TG2039820854
For further information see list description.
A. Cattermole (NLA), 1 February 2006.
- MANOR HOUSE (15th Century to 21st Century - 1500 AD to 2100 AD)
- BARN (18th Century to 21st Century - 1750 AD to 2100 AD)
Associated Finds - none
- Listed Building
- Listed Building
Sources and further reading
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. pp 547-548. |
|<S1>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. |
Related records - none
Find out more...