Record Details

NHER Number:43030
Type of record:Building
Name:Halvergate Hall

Summary

Built in 1840 for Cyrus Gillet, this double pile house is of gault brick, two and a half storeys high and has single storied extensions to the north and northeast. Its central double panelled doors are set in a porch with piers and columns.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 41998 06579
Map Sheet:TG40NW
Parish:HALVERGATE, BROADLAND, NORFOLK

Full description

February 1987. Listed, Grade II.
Listing Description:
House of about 1840, of gault brick, reroofed with concrete tiles, the valley infilled with mineral felt flat roof. Double pile plan of two and a half storeys. Single storey outbuilding to north east, and single storey extension to north. Entrance facade to east 2 storeys, 3 recessed bays, elaborated to form paired pilasters at the angles. Central pedimented bay set slightly forward. Central stuccoed porch with outer piers and inner Ionic columns. Plain entablature. Double panelled entrance doors with stuccoed architrave. South elevation, 2 storeys, 4 bays. Storey height sashes at ground floor. West elevation 3 bays, with late 19th century 2 storey canted bay. 4 bays to north of 2½ storeys. Sash windows with flat gauged brick arches. Rendered plinth, 1st floor brick plat- band between pilasters and aprons under first floor windows. Hipped roof with two axial chimneys each on east and west ridges.
Information from (S1).
A. Cattermole (NLA), 30 January 2006.

Monument Types

  • HOUSE (19th Century to 21st Century - 1840 AD to 2100 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 537.
<S1>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1051465.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2020 Norfolk Historic Environment Service