Record Details

NHER Number:42986
Type of record:Building
Name:55 North Quay


A mid 18th century house which was converted to a warehouse in the early 20th century. A possible 17th century wall painting was discovered in 2008 during building works.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 52089 07734
Map Sheet:TG50NW

Full description

December 1976. Listed, Grade II.
Listing Description:
Warehouse. Domestic range dated 1748, converted to warehouse early 20th century. Red brick with some flint dressings. Double-pile plan, the front pile with plain-tile roof, the rear with corrugated asbestos roof cladding. Two storeys and dormer attic; six-window range. Very wide early 20th century plate-glass shop front to facade with canopy boxes extending over No.56 (qv). First floor has knapped and cut flint between the windows and stuccoed brick quoins. Windows are 20th century sheet glass replacing sashes. Timber eaves cornice under gabled roof. Two pedimented dormers, the left-hand one of which has a 3/3 horned sash (the other has no window at all). Truncated internal gable-end stack to north. East pile of red brick. Ground floor has an early 20th century single-storey flat-topped extension and a three-storey loading bay terminating in a ruined lucam. Main first-floor wall with various sashes under gauged skewback arches. Gabled roof.
Information from (S1).
Alice Cattermole (NLA), 24 January 2006.

May 2008.
Painted decoration discovered during building works in a second floor room. The wall with the painting is probably 17th century. The painting is on lime plaster with some hair, on a brick support. Only a fragment of painting is visible high up the wall above a mullioned window. It consists of narrow white vertical bands, probably outlined in red, diving the space into wider vertical panels. The backgorunds to the panels have almost gone but may have been coloured originally. There is a motif at the top of each panel which seems to have been repainted. The first scheme is red cresent shapes, the left cresent was overpainted with a blue/ green motif and the right one with a cross. A cornice seems to have been applied along the top edge. The painting is clearly associated with a partition that no longer exists. The negative image for the partition can be seen in the brickwork. It is likely that further areas of painted decoration survive to the right of the exposed area. The painting is difficult to date but seems coeval with the 17th century structural alterations.
See report (S2) for further information
H. White (NLA) 19 December 2008

April 2008 to February 2009. Watching Brief. Recorded under NHER 51512.
Evidence for the development of this area from the medieval period to the early 20th century was recorded during monitoring of groundworks to the rear of Nos 55¬-57 North Quay. All excavations were small-scale and isolated, making dating and interpretation difficult, but five phases of activity were identified.
The earliest activity relates to the Carmelite Friary which was founded in 1276 and dissolved in 1538 (see NHER 4306). Recorded features included existing wall fragments and demolition debris from the destruction of the Friary buildings in the late medieval period. Evidence for early post medieval (c. 1590 to c. 1750) and late post medieval (c. 1750 to c. 1900) walls and surfaces immediately adjacent to Nos 55¬-57 North Quay were also recorded, documenting changes to the exterior space surrounding these buildings.
See NHER 51512 for further information.
H. Hamilton (HES), 18 June 2013.

Monument Types

  • WALL PAINTING (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • HOUSE (18th Century to 19th Century - 1748 AD to 1899 AD?)
  • WAREHOUSE (Early 20th Century to 21st Century - 1901 AD to 2100 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2001. Historic house looks safe. 31 January.
<S1>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1246061.
<S2>Unpublished Contractor Report: Kirkham, A. 2008. Report on the Recently Discovered Painted Decoration at 55,56,57 North Quay, Great Yarmouth. Andrea Kirkham.

Related records

MNO874Related to: 55 North Quay GREAT YARMOUTH (Revoked)
42971Related to: 56 and 57 North Quay (Building)
51512Related to: Medieval and post medieval walls and surfaces, 17th century clay pipe manufacturing debris, and associated finds (Monument)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2020 Norfolk Historic Environment Service