|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||56 and 57 North Quay|
A pair of 18th century houses and shops which were heightened in the 19th century. No.56 has an early 20th century shop front. A possible 17th century wall painting was discovered in 2008 during building works. The building was converted into flats in 2009.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 52093 07718|
|Parish:||GREAT YARMOUTH, GREAT YARMOUTH, NORFOLK|
Pair of 18th century houses with shops, heightened in early 19th century and with 20th century alterations. Red brick in Flemish bond; No.57 has been rendered. Slate roof with coped gables. Two storey house, heightened in the early 19th century to three storeys. Shops were inserted on the ground floor, the early 20th century shopfront to No. 56 is part of a large shopfront which extends across No.55.
For further information see (S1).
Alice Cattermole (NLA), 24 January 2006.
Renovations of numbers 55, 56 and 57 (see also 51512) by Great Yarmouth Preservation Trust in 2008 revealed human skeletal remains mortared into one wall (inspected K. Hamilton, 14 January 2008). The wall was a 1740s extension wall (according to Conservation Officer) built to enclose part of the adjacent Row (possibly Row 43, but that is unclear), and the human remains were found in the corbelled buttressing for a fireplace. The remains comprised a partial cranium, including part frontal bone, part parietal bones, RH temporal bone (including part of zygomatic arch), LH temporal bone (no zygomatic arch). Skull was of an adult of indeterminate gender. Part healed trephanation in RH parietal bone. Cranium had been filled with mortar (which retained a cast of the internal features of the skull), suggesting it was fragmentary when found.
K. Hamilton (NLA), 5 December 2008.
Painted decoration discovered during building works in a second floor room. The wall with the painting is probably 17th century. The painting is on lime plaster with some hair, on a brick support. Only a fragment of painting is visible high up the wall above a mullioned window. It consists of narrow white vertical bands, probably outlined in red, dividing the space into wider vertical panels. The backgorunds to the panels have almost gone but may have been coloured originally. There is a motif at the top of each panel which seems to have been repainted. The first scheme is red cresent shapes, the left cresent was overpainted with a blue/ green motif and the right one with a cross. A cornice seems to have been applied along the top edge. The painting is clearly associated with a partition that no longer exists. The negative image for the partition can be seen in the brickwork. It is likely that further areas of painted decoration survive to the right of the exposed area. The painting is difficult to date but seems coeval with the 17th century structural alterations.
See (S2) for further information
H. White (NLA) 19 December 2008
The building has been converted into 19 apartments. Original features such as window seats, shutters, panelling, peg tile roof and brick walls have all been retained. A 16th century mullioned window was also discovered under plasterwork.
See (S3) for further details.
H. White (NLA), 29 April 2009
April 2008 to February 2009. Watching Brief. Recorded under NHER 51512.
Evidence for the development of this area from the medieval period to the early 20th century was recorded during monitoring of groundworks to the rear of Nos 55¬-57 North Quay. All excavations were small-scale and isolated, making dating and interpretation difficult, but five phases of activity were identified.
The earliest activity relates to the Carmelite Friary which was founded in 1276 and dissolved in 1538 (see NHER 4306). Recorded features included existing wall fragments and demolition debris from the destruction of the Friary buildings in the late medieval period. Evidence for early post medieval (c. 1590 to c. 1750) and late post medieval (c. 1750 to c. 1900) walls and surfaces immediately adjacent to Nos 55¬-57 North Quay were also recorded, documenting changes to the exterior space surrounding these buildings.
See NHER 51512 for further information.
H. Hamilton (HES), 18 June 2013.
- WALL PAINTING (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- HOUSE (Post Medieval to Modern - 1700 AD to 2050 AD)
- SHOP (Post Medieval to Modern - 1900 AD to 2050 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest. |
|<S2>||Unpublished document: Kirkham, A.. 2008. Report on the Recently Discovered Painted Decoration at 55,56,57 North Quay, Great Yarmouth. |
|<S3>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2009. New role for merchant house. 24 April. |
|42986||Related to: 55 North Quay (Building)|
|MNO905||Related to: 56 & 57 North Quay GREAT YARMOUTH (Revoked)|
|51512||Related to: Medieval and post medieval walls and surfaces, 17th century clay pipe manufacturing debris, and associated finds (Monument)|
Find out more...