|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||6 to 12 George Street|
These three shops were built in the early 17th century, altered in the early 20th century and restored between 1988 to 1989. There used to be a date stone on the building inscribed 1609. The building is constructed of knapped flint with rendered brick. The roof is black glazed pantiles. The structure has two storeys. There are plate glass shop fronts between a pair of fluted Roman Doric columns. The rear wing part of the building includes parts of two early 16th century round brick archways which once belonged to the Carmelite Friary (NHER 4306).
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 52197 07643|
|Parish:||GREAT YARMOUTH, GREAT YARMOUTH, NORFOLK|
June 1953. Listed, Grade II.
Three shops (Nos. 8 and 10 combined) dating to the early 17th century, altered in the early 20th century and restored 1988 to 1989 by Olley & Haward. Once carried a datestone indicating 1609. Knapped flint with rendered brick; brick and flint to rear. Roof of black glazed pantiles. T shaped plan. Two storeys with a 20th century dormer attic over No. 6. Five window range. The shop fronts are of plate glass, that to No. 6 with a double display window and a central entrance, the whole set between a pair of fluted Roman Doric columns. Nos. 8 to 12 have plate glass display windows and entrances set between pairs of Roman Doric columns, with a blind entrance in the centre. The first floor has three 6/6 sashes, of which the centre one has no horns. Right and left is a 19th century canted bay window fitted with horned sashes without glazing bars. Timber modillion eaves cornice between moulded brick kneelers. Gabled roof. East wall of the main block entirely rebuilt 1988. The rear wing terminates to east with a round early 16th century brick archway and part of a second which once belonged to the Carmelite Friary which stood on the site and was dissolved in 1538.
Information from (S1).
A. Cattermole (NLA), 19 January 2006.
- SHOP (17th Century to 21st Century - 1609 AD to 2100 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 509. |
|<S1>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1096832. |
|4306||Parent of: Site of Carmelite Friary (Monument)|