|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of Carmelite Friary|
This is the site of a Carmelite Friary, which was founded in 1276, and dissolved in 1538. Some structural remains of the Friary have been found, including buried foundations and a standing wall of late 15th or early 16th century brickwork, which may have been part of one of the Friary buildings. Human remains have also been found on the site, probably from the Friary cemetery. The site was built over in the post medieval period, and several post medieval houses and warehouses, dating from the 16th century onwards, now stand on the area of the Friary precinct.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 521 077|
|Parish:||GREAT YARMOUTH, GREAT YARMOUTH, NORFOLK|
Site of Carmelite Friary 1276 to 1538.
Site now occupied by houses, 16th century and later, one with cut down lookout tower; and crossed by Rows. Now has post medieval houses on the site.
Human skeleton and medieval architectural fragments found.
1964. Field Observation.
Whilst digging foundations for a new block of flats, C.G. Rye reported uncovered possible remains of friary. The remains of a wall standing 2ft high which appeared to be part of the gable end of a large building. An area 24 ft. by 28 ft. of this building was exposed including the remains of a dividing wall with a corridor on the south side, most of this has now been demolished. Pottery found in association with this area mainly dated to the 16th-18th century. However on some lower levels there were some bases of 13th-14th century grey-ware cooking-pots.
See (S2) for further details.
26 August 1982. Demolition of shop, formerly no.6, Row 50.
Structural remains of either friary or merchants house uncovered and part preserved.
The brickwork appeared to be late 15th or early 16th century, and part of a large building with blank arches in the walls, possibly a ground floor undercroft or store room.
1996. Building Survey and Watching Brief.
Medieval wall fragment identified during survey of 51 North Quay. It was not possible to say whether this was associated with the Carmelite Friary.
See (S1) and NHER 42985 for further details.
E. Rose (NLA) 9 June 1994. Amended by P. Watkins (HES), 17 February 2014.
April 2008 to February 2009. Watching Brief. Recorded under NHER 51512.
Evidence for the development of this area from the medieval period to the early 20th century was recorded during monitoring of groundworks to the rear of Nos 55¬-57 North Quay. All excavations were small-scale and isolated, making dating and interpretation difficult, but five phases of activity were identified.
The earliest activity relates to the Carmelite Friary which was founded in 1276 and dissolved in 1538 (see NHER 4306). Recorded features included existing wall fragments and demolition debris from the destruction of the Friary buildings in the late medieval period. Evidence for early post medieval (c. 1590 to c. 1750) and late post medieval (c. 1750 to c. 1900) walls and surfaces immediately adjacent to Nos 55¬-57 North Quay were also recorded, documenting changes to the exterior space surrounding these buildings.
See NHER 51512 for further information.
H. Hamilton (HES), 18 June 2013.
- ANCHORITE CELL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- BUILDING (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- HOUSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- INHUMATION (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- TOWER (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- UNDERCROFT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- WALL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FRIARY (13th Century to 16th Century - 1276 AD to 1538 AD)
- CELLAR (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- GARDEN HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- GLASS WORKS (17th Century - 1696 AD to 1697 AD)
- ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- HUMAN REMAINS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Serial: 1957. Council for British Archaeology Group 7 Bulletin of Archaeological Discoveries. No 4. p 5. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Evening News. 1957. [unknown]. 13 February. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Yarmouth Mercury. 1982. Discoveries may pinpoint monastery site. 3 September. |
|---||Illustration: Various. Various. Architectural plans. |
|---||Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TG 50 NW 12; TG 50 NW 13 . |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Photograph: EDJ 7 to 9. |
|---||Photograph: CJZ 29 to 33. |
|---||Photograph: HNF 22 to 24. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1993. [Articles on the fire damage to 3 Broad Row]. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2002. Ancient quay house to be restored. 24 October. |
|---||Publication: Knowles, D. and Hadcock, R. N. 1971. Medieval Religious Houses of England and Wales. pp 233, 237. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1982. Unearthed site a monastery?. 27 August. |
|---||Publication: Palmer, C.J.. The Perlustration of Great Yarmouth: with Charleston and Southtown.. |
|---||Photograph: 1985 - 1995. Carmelite Friary. Print. |
|---||Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Yarmouth (Great). |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|---||Photograph: CEM 14 to 24. |
|---||Collection: Norfolk Historic Environment Record Staff. 1975-. HER Record Notes. Norfolk Historic Environment Service. |
|<S1>||Unpublished Contractor Report: Forrest, K. 1997. Watching Brief at 51 North Quay, Great Yarmouth. Norfolk Archaeological Unit. 205. |
|<S2>||Article in Serial: Wilson, D. M. and Hurst, D. G. 1966. Medieval Britain in 1964. Medieval Archaeology. pp 195-196. |
|51512||Parent of: Medieval and post medieval walls and surfaces, 17th century clay pipe manufacturing debris, and associated finds (Monument)|
|42950||Part of: 6 to 12 George Street (Building)|
Find out more...