|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Medieval fishponds north of Dilham Hall|
A group of nine fishponds, probably dating to the medieval period, survives as earthworks in woodland and is also depicted on modern and historic Ordnance Survey maps. One has been infilled and all are now dry. They are probably associated with the site of the medieval fortified house Dilham Castle approximately 130m to the south (NHER 8189).
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 33344 26397|
|Parish:||DILHAM, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Nine fishponds lying in woodland about 100m northwest of Dilham Hall. Lengths vary from 10m to 40m, around 3m wide, up to about 1.5m deep. One has been infilled recently, all are dry. A feeder ditch runs along north side of wood.
H. Paterson (A&E) 18 October 2005.
November 2006. Norfolk NMP.
The fishponds described above, which may be of medieval date, are obscured by vegetation on all of the consulted aerial photographs. Consequently they have not been mapped by the NMP. They are depicted on a number of Ordnance Survey maps, both modern and historic, at TG 3337 2641, including the Ordnance Survey 2nd edition 25 inch map (S1)-(S2). It is notable that they are not depicted on either the 1st edition 6 inch map (S3) or the parish Tithe Map (S4).
S. Tremlett (NMP), 8 November 2006.
- FISHPOND (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|<S1>||Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. Ordnance Survey Second Edition 25" (1902-1907) Sheet XL.3. |
|<S2>||Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. Ordnance Survey second edition 25" (1902-1907) Sheet XL.4. |
|<S3>||Map: Ordnance Survey. 1889 - 1891. Ordnance Survey first edition 6 inch map.. 1:10,560. |
|<S4>||Map: James Wright, Aylsham. 1840. Dilham Tithe Map. 1 inch: 3 chains. |
Related records - none
Find out more...