|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Possible Roman road and medieval warren|
This is the site of an embanked trackway which marks the line of the parish boundary. A large earthwork bank is the northern boundary of the medieval rabbit warren of Gooderstone. This may be a Roman road linked to NHER 8714.
Images - none
'Old track banked on both sides' which forms the parish boundary. See (S1).
R. R. Clarke (NCM)
A. Davison (NAU) reports that the bank on south side massive, especially at western end.
E. Rose (NAU) 7 August 1987.
This is the north boundary bank of Gooderstone Warren.
K. Sussams (SAU) May 1996.
This may be a Roman road linked to NHER 8714.
M. Dennis (NLA), 4 January 2006.
- BANK (EARTHWORK) (Undated)
- PARISH BOUNDARY (Undated)
- TRACKWAY (Undated)
- ROAD (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- RABBIT WARREN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Miscellaneous. Cockley Cley/Gooderstone. |
|<S1>||Map: Ordnance Survey, First Edition, 6 Inch. 1879-1886. Ordnance Survey 1st Edition 6 inch map.. |
|54064||Part of: Medieval rabbit warren, Gooderstone (Monument)|
Find out more...