Record Details

NHER Number:39813
Type of record:Building
Name:Palmers Lodge or East Lodge


The lodge was designed by Samuel Wyatt in 1799. The two square side lodges are linked by a Doric colonnade to an impressive central archway, with a pediment, Doric pilasters and niches.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TF 90247 41864
Map Sheet:TF94SW

Full description

May 1983. Listed, Grade II.
Listing Description:
Lodge house. 1799 by 8wmel Wyatt. Gault brick with Coade stone and stuccoed brick dressings and decoration. Central pedimented archway with Doric pilasters. Brick niches and square panels between pilasters. Coade stone roundel in pediment with crest enclosed in wreath of laurel leaves modelled by Berresconi. Square brick side lodges with pyramidal slate roofs and central chimneys. Window openings with flat gauged arches on E and W sides. Six panelled fielded entrance doors facing road. Doric colonnaded links. Stucooed and moulded cornice.
Information from (S1).
E. Rose (NLA), 22 October 2003.

Formerly NHER 1802 context 14.

Monument Types

  • ARCH (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • GATE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • LODGE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Oblique Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1984. TF 9041B.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 422.
<S1>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1373658.

Related records

1802Part of: Holkham Park (Monument)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2020 Norfolk Historic Environment Service