|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Mauseoleum, St Withburga's churchyard|
A flint and limestone mausoleum designed in 1870 by J.K. Colling for Countess Juliana, who funded the restoration of St Withburga's, NHER 1800. The mausoleum has an arched doorway and lancet windows.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 87760 43644|
|Parish:||HOLKHAM, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Mausoleum. Attached to west side of churchyard but physically within Holkham Park.
Listed as High Victorian Gothic mid 19th century. Flint and limestone, stone roof with ridge roll. Three bays of lancet windows under gablets between buttresses. Arched door to east below armorial. Iron railings to north and south. See (S1).
Noted as in excellent condition in 1977.
E. Rose (NLA), 29 April 2003.
Previously numbered as NHER 1802 context 8.
It was constructed in 1870 by J.K. Colling for the body of the Countess Juliana who had funded the restoration of the church in the previous year. Her embalmed remains were removed in 1905 to the new Coke burial plot on the south side of the churchyard, and has been empty ever since. It is divided from the churchyard by a screen of ornate railings and is still externally in good condition. For further details of background see NHER 1800.
E. Rose (NLA), 14 November 2005.
- MAUSOLEUM (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|<S1>||Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest. |
|1802||Part of: Holkham Park (Monument)|
|1800||Part of: St Withburga's Church, Holkham (Building)|
Find out more...