Record Details

NHER Number:39431
Type of record:Building
Name:Fersfield Old Hall


A 17th century timber framed hall, refaced in the 19th century, when the Hall was subdivided into three cottages. The Hall was once surrounded by a moat, see NHER 10904.


  • The 17th century timber frame and wattle and daub of Fersfield Hall was revealed during restoration work in 2006  © Norfolk Museums & Archaeology Service


Grid Reference:TM 06620 82803
Map Sheet:TM08SE

Full description

Also known as Hall Cottages or 21 and 23 Fersfield Street.
Former Hall, subdivided into three, now to be made one house again.
19th century brick skin over 17th century timber frame.
Offcentre stack; gabled crosswing to south; 19th century extension south of that.
The moated site NHER 10904 must once have surrounded this building.
Information from listed building description.
(S1) in file.
E. Rose (NLA), 13 June 2003.

Part of 19th century brick skin removed and replaced in 2006. Photographs in file show a timber framed wall with widely spaced studs and a long straight brace, suggesting late 17th/18th century date. Late brick infill on site of blocked windows, otherwise wattle and daub. At centre, what seems to be the end of a beam supported on a reused timber below a large patch of brickwork.
See (S2).
E. Rose (NLA), 25 April 2006.

Monument Types

  • GREAT HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • TIMBER FRAMED HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England.
---Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TM 08 SE M.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Photograph: Unknown. 2003. [unknown].
<S2>Photograph: Unknown. 2006. [unknown].

Related records

10904Part of: Medieval moat (Monument)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service