|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Deserted village of Langford|
Finds recovered from molehills include undatable prehistoric flint flakes and possible Iron Age, Roman, Late Saxon, medieval and post medieval pottery. This is the site of the Late Saxon to medieval village of Langford. By the mid 18th century the village had diminished to the manor house then regarded as a farm. It was incorporated into the Ministry of Defence's Stanford Training Area in 1942.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TL 83844 96883|
|Parish:||ICKBURGH, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
January 2002 and subsequently. Fieldwalking. STANTA Survey. Fieldwork No. O6a.
Collection of finds from molehills on grassland.
Undatable prehistoric flint flakes.
?Iron Age, Roman, Late Saxon, medieval and post medieval sherds.
Medieval sherds suggesting settlement herein.
A. Rogerson (NLA), 3 May 2002.
(S1) says the above site is dominated by two sites, both on terraces above the marshy valley floor. One of them Romano-British and one Late Saxon/medieval. The latter is more extensive, facing east across the River Wissey and ending at or near a large pit at its northern end. There is a smaller westward extension facing southeast onto the river as it bends southwest. Each of the two sites is accompanied by a scatter of finds dispersed over neighbouring fields.
M. Dennis (NLA), 30 March 2006.
(S2) says the site of Langford stretches northwards from the church (NHER 5046) under grassland facing east onto the Wissey. The sequence of pottery began with Middle Saxon sherds possibly representing dispersed signs of the earliest Langford. Late Saxon pottery was found at the actual site of the village mingled with medieval pottery ranging from early forms to post medieval pottery. From the centre of the concentration an aura of finds extends westwards onto nearby fields.
Documentary evidence suggests that by the mid 18th century the village had diminished to a manor house, then regarded as a farm. The church was restored in 1888 and by 1921 there were three farms in the parish. The area was incorporated into the Ministry of Defence's Stanford Training Ground in 1942.
M. Dennis (NLA), 31 March 2006.
- DESERTED SETTLEMENT (Late Saxon to Medieval - 851 AD to 1539 AD)
- FLAKE (Prehistoric - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
- POT (Iron Age - 800 BC to 42 AD)
- POT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- POT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- FLOOR TILE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- ROOF TILE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Unpublished document: Davison, A.. 2002. STANTA ILMP Arable Survey. June. |
|<S2>||Article in serial: Davison, A. and Cushion, B. 2005. An Archaeological Survey of the Stanford Training Area, 2000-2. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XLIV Pt IV pp 602-616. |
|35871||Part of: Sites of three medieval to post medieval houses (Find Spot)|
Find out more...