|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Medieval to post medieval enclosures and field boundaries|
A series of medieval to post medieval date enclosures, property and field boundaries and drainage channels are visible on aerial photographs to the immediate east of Sea Palling village. The site consists of a several large rectangular and rectilinear fields and enclosures, a possible trackway and several curvilinear and irregular drainage channels. A series of possible extraction pits may also be visible.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 4295 2661|
|Parish:||SEA PALLING, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
SOME FEATURES INCLUDED WITHIN THIS SITE WERE PREVIOUSLY RECORDED UNDER NHER 36768. THE DOUBLE DITCHED ENCLOSURE IS NOW RECORDED UNDER 42077. THE CENTRAL POINT FOR THE SITE HAS BEEN ALTERED FROM TG 4308 2662 TO TG 4296 2662.
19 July 1994. NLA air photography.
Cropmark site consisting of a double-ditched, square enclosure, a braided trackway and a series of co-joined rectilinear enclosures, at least two of which also have stretches of double ditch (S1).
S. Massey (NLA), 19 april 2001.
September 2005. Norfolk NMP.
A series of medieval to post medieval date enclosures, property and field boundaries and drainage channels are visible on aerial photographs to the immediate east of Sea Palling village (S1 to S3). The site is centred on TG 4296 2662. The site consists of a several large rectangular and rectilinear fields and enclosures, a possible trackway and several curvilinear and irregular drainage channels. A series of possible extraction pits may also be visible.
Several of these drains and boundaries are marked on the Sea Palling 1839 Tithe map (S4). An irregular and curvilinear boundary runs from TG 4288 2668 to TG 4318 2655. The western end of the boundary is quite broad and has the appearance of major drainage channel. The eastern end of the boundary has a parallel ditch or drain approximately 4m apart. A third parallel ditch is present to wards the eastern end, although it is only visible for approximately 30m. The western section of the boundary corresponds with one that is marked on the 1839 Tithe map (S4). The conjoined ditch and curvilinear channel to the south also reflect those depicted in 1839, which joins with the present southern boundary of the field. To the west is another linear drain that is also present in 1839 and runs up to the end of Church Road. To the west of this is a drain running parallel and a series of perpendicular ditches which are not marked on the map and may represent an element of the landscape which has been removed by the mid nineteenth century. Within this area is a small group of ring ditches, recorded under NHER 36768, which are likely to medieval or post medieval stack stands. Other linears within this area are recorded under NHER 42079.
The main component of the site is two large conjoined rectilinear enclosed areas that back onto the southern trackway. The northwestern corner of these cannot be seen due to a combination of an area of rough grazing and masking of the cropmarks within the arable. The northern enclosed area is defined to both the north and south by parallel ditches, presumably representing tracks through to the fields from the village. This enclosed area potentially measures 95m to 70m. The southern area appears to be subdivided into several narrow strips, all approximately 20m wide. There are a number of linears which do not necessarily fit into the general pattern of fields and enclosures and it is possible that these belong to earlier phases of the site, such as earlier medieval elements which have been removed in favour of the post medieval enclosures and fields.
Two possible areas of extraction were identified. One centred on TG 4307 2652 which consists of three oblong cut features, all are approximately 22m in length and vary in width from 4m to 8m. The other possible extraction feature is located at TG 4298 2657 and measures 13m by 3-5m. This is obviously part of a different phase of activity to the trackway as their locations coincide. It is possible that these long oblong cuts relate to the removal of turves or a similar process. The entire extent of the site is covered with small and irregular pit-like features, however the majority of these were considered to be geological. However two larger and circular pits were mapped as being of possible archaeological origin, both 5m in diameter, at TG 4296 2660 and at TG 4302 2652.
S. Massey (NMP), 31 September 2005.
- BOUNDARY DITCH (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- DRAINAGE DITCH (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- EXTRACTIVE PIT? (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- FIELD BOUNDARY (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- RECTILINEAR ENCLOSURE (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|<S1>||Oblique Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1994. NHER TG 4326AA-AG (NLA 343/HVY47,SLIDE) 19-JUL-1994. |
|<S2>||Oblique Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1995. NHER TG 4326AN-AQ (NLA 357/HHJ7-9) 15-AUG-1995. |
|<s3>||Vertical Aerial Photograph: Environment Agency. 2002. EA 040 AF/02C/339 6997-8 22-JUL-2002 (EA). |
|42077||Related to: Possibly medieval to post medieval enclosure (Monument)|
Find out more...