Record Details

NHER Number:36053
Type of record:Building
Name:Ivy Farm Barn, Bircham Road


Ivy Farm Barn is a barn of English bond red brick with red pantiled roofs, dated to 1740. It is in fact two three-bay threshing barns built end to end with a projecting outshut to the east and west. The east side has a central 18th century brick outshut, two flanking cart entrances and two first floor honeycomb brick ventilation openings under segmental brick arches. The architectural details have been identified as the work of the architect Robert Glover, also responsible for Barmer Farm Barn, Bagthorpe with Barmer, and Barwick House and outbuildings, Barwick.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TF 8068 3684
Map Sheet:TF83NW

Full description

April 2001. Part survey.
Grand brick farm apparently dated 1716, an early work of Robert Glover.
See description in file.
E. Rose (NLA), 6 April 2001.

March 2004. Building Survey.
Evaluation of barn and outshuts.
Notes that the date on the plaque is in fact 1740, putting it in line with Glover’s other works, and interprets the building in a slightly different way.
See report (S1) for further details. The results of this survey are also summarised in (S2).
E. Rose (NLA), 14 April 2004 and J. Allen (NLA), 28 April 2004. Amended by P. Watkins (HES), 28 April 2015.

Monument Types

  • BARN (18th Century to 21st Century - 1740 AD? to 2100 AD)
  • THRESHING BARN (18th Century to 21st Century - 1740 AD? to 2100 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Photograph: Wade Martin, S.. [unknown].
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Unpublished Contractor Report: Wade Martin, S. 2004. Ivy Farm, Stanhoe. Evaluation of barn and outshuts. Susanna Wade Martins.
<S2>Article in Serial: Gurney, D. and Penn, K. 2005. Excavations and Surveys in Norfolk in 2004. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XLIV Pt IV pp 751-763. p 760.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2021 Norfolk Historic Environment Service