|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of post mill at Mill Farm|
A post mill that was moved to this location in 1804 from the gasworks in Attleborough, see NHER 15294. The mill closed down in 1909.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 0665 0032|
|Parish:||MORLEY, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Post mill moved here from Attleborough (gasworks site) in 1804.
Timbers and millstones survive. House presumably of same date (certainly not later). Accounts of mill preserved by owner - photocopies 'in Cambridge' (also copy in Bridewell).
Visited by E. Rose (NAU) 4 June 1975.
There is however a mill marked here on (S1).
E. Rose (NAU).
The gasworks mill site is NHER 15294.
(S2) confirm the date of 1804 (so presumably replacing an earlier mill) and say it closed down in 1909.
E. Rose (NAU)
CORRECTION - Faden's marking is not this site, as  points out.
E. Rose (NAU) 23 March 1982.
According to archaic legislation, if a mill was to be moved, it had to be at least 3 miles from its original location. The new owners of the mill took a roundabout route so that they didn't have to move it too far. The mill was replaced in 1909 by a Marshall steam engine.
NIAS records (S2)
W. Arnold HES 11/01/11
- MILL HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- WINDMILL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- POST MILL (19th Century to Early 20th Century - 1804 AD to 1909 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|<S1>||Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797. |
|<S2>||Archive: NIAS. Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society Records. |
|15294||Related to: Site of a post medieval windmill (Monument)|
Find out more...