|Type of record:||Find Spot|
|Name:||Multi-period metal finds|
Between 1999 and 2002, metal detecting recovered a variety of metal objects including a late Bronze age socketed axe fragment, a Roman coin and a medieval lead seal matrix. Also found were a number of Late Saxon, medieval and post medieval metal objects.
|Grid Reference:||TG 38 08|
|Parish:||BEIGHTON, BROADLAND, NORFOLK|
August-September 1999. Metal detecting.
Early post medieval threepence of Elizabeth I, 1578. Mintmark of Greek cross.
Identified by J. Davies (NCM).
December 1999 - January 2000. Metal detecting.
Medieval lead seal matrix, 13th century.
Now very crushed but probably originally thin, flat and circular, with a flat pierced lug at the top. The central design can now no longer be made out.
The surviving part of the legend reads '…DWAI.LEMEC…'. May originally have been S'EDWA[RD]I LE MEC…(Seal of Edward Lemec..), Lemec being either the first part of his surname, or meaning Edward the Mec.
August - September (2000?). Metal detecting.
Early post medieval button made in two halves.
The front is a rounded cone of grey bronze (high tin?) and the back is slightly convex with a circular integral loop.
Post medieval Norwich trader's token.
Obverse: FRACIS MORLY around the arms of the Grocers' Company. Rev: OF. NORWICH around F.M. Williamson no. 173, 17th century.
Identified by H. Geake (NCM) K. Hinds (NLA) 7 April 2000.
February 2004. Metal detecting.
1 Roman coin.
Medieval harness pendant.
See lists in file.
A. Rogerson (NLA), 5 April 2004.
February 2005. Metal detecting.
Late Bronze Age socketed axe fragment (S1).
Late Saxon (S2), medieval and post medieval metal objects.
See lists in file.
A. Rogerson (NLA), 5 April 2005.
- FINDSPOT (Late Bronze Age - 1000 BC to 701 BC)
- FINDSPOT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Late Saxon to Post Medieval - 851 AD to 1900 AD)
- SOCKETED AXEHEAD (Late Bronze Age - 1000 BC to 701 BC)
- COIN (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- STIRRUP STRAP MOUNT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- BELL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- BUCKLE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- COIN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- HARNESS PENDANT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- SEAL MATRIX (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- BUCKLE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- BUTTON (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- COIN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- TOKEN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Photograph: NLA. Finds Photograph. |
|---||Photograph: I&RS. Finds Polaroid. Polaroid. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|---||Article in serial: Ashley, S. 2006. Recent Finds of Anglo-Norman 'High-Status' Objects from Norfolk. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XLV Pt I pp 105-108. |
|<S1>||Illustration: Ashley, S.. 2005. Drawing of Late Bronze Age socketed axe fragment.. Film. 1:1. |
|<S2>||Illustration: Gibbons, J.. 2005. Drawing of a Late Saxon stirrup-strap mount. Film. 2:1. |
Related records - none
Find out more...