|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Happisburgh Manor (St Mary's) gardens|
These post medieval gardens were laid out in 1900 by Detmar Blow around Happisburgh Manor (NHER 14148). They are compartmented and include a hedged tennis court, a brick floored terrace, summer houses and a kitchen garden. The kitchen garden merges with the garden of St Anne's (NHER 24941).
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 3812 3099|
|Parish:||HAPPISBURGH, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Historic Garden grade II (English Heritage) added 2000.
For house see NHER 14148. Garden laid out by Detmar Blow 1900.
Oval wall around house, compartmented gardens. Hedged tennis court, once the finest in Norfolk; brick floored terrace, summer houses with sea views. Parterres probably never completed. Northern woodland once came right to house. Beyond is pightle used to graze carriage horses. Kitchen garden to southwest runs into garden of St Anne's (which is included in area).
For further details see Register (S1).
E. Rose (NLA), 24 March 2000.
26 August 1997. NLA air photography .
H. Clare (NLA), 29 March 2001.
- GARDEN (19th Century to 21st Century - 1900 AD to 2100 AD)
Associated Finds - none
- Listed Building
- Registered Park or Garden
Sources and further reading
|---||Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1997. TG3831/D - H. |
|---||Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1995. TG 3830AM. |
|---||Designation: English Heritage. Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England.. |
|14148||Related to: Happisburgh Manor (also known as St Mary's) (Building)|
Find out more...