|Type of record:||Find Spot|
|Name:||Iron Age and Roman finds from Late Iron Age to Roman settlement|
Metal detecting recovered an unusual Iron Age cast copper alloy strainer bowl spout in the form of an animal or fish head. It has been suggested that the model for the animal is an old male bream. Other finds include Roman coins and Roman, medieval and post medieval objects. The finds came from the site of a Late Iron Age to Roman settlement (NHER 26626).
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 67 32|
|Parish:||INGOLDISTHORPE, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
|SNETTISHAM, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Pre 1991. At  (context 1).
Drawing labelled Ingoldisthorpe with this grid reference, but national grid reference is in Snettisham Parish.
Object resembling chariot fitting in form of animal head. No details received by NLA from NCM by 1999.
Found by .
E. Rose (NLA), 7 June 1999.
1998 to 1999. Metal detecting. At .
Seven Roman coins.
Ten Roman metal objects.
One medieval and one early post medieval metal object.
See lists in file.
K. Hinds (NLA), 23 August 2000.
Chariot fitting mentioned above is actually Late Iron Age copper alloy cast strainer bowl spout in the form of a fish head. Parallels at Beck Row, Suffolk and Felmersham-on-Ouse, Bedfordshire.
See (S1) and (S2) in file.
D. Gurney (NLA), 6 September 2002.
- FINDSPOT (Early Iron Age to Post Medieval - 800 BC to 1900 AD)
- HARNESS FITTING (Early Iron Age to Roman - 800 BC to 409 AD)
- SIEVE (Late Iron Age - 100 BC to 42 AD)
- STRAINER (Late Iron Age - 100 BC to 42 AD)
- VESSEL (Late Iron Age - 100 BC to 42 AD)
- BOW BROOCH (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- COIN (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FURNITURE FITTING (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- HARNESS PENDANT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- PIN (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- STRAP FITTING (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- SEAL MATRIX (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- HARNESS FITTING (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Sources and further reading
|---||Illustration: Finds Illustrations. |
|---||Map: Finder's Map.. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Illustration: Finds Illustrations. |
|<S2>||Monograph: Bates, E.. 2002. A Roman Maltings at Beck Row.. East Anglian Archaeology. |
|26626||Part of: Extensive Late Iron Age to Roman settlement (Monument)|
Find out more...