|Type of record:||Find Spot|
|Name:||Iron Age and Roman finds from Late Iron Age to Roman settlement|
An unusual Late Iron Age strainer bowl spout in the form of an animal or fish head was recovered before 1991, while sporadic metal-detecting between 1998 and 2015 recovered Roman coins as well as Roman, medieval and post-medieval metal objects. The metal finds include Roman brooches, horse-harness pendants, a furniture knob, strap-end and mount; a possible Roman loop from a swivel and possible pin shaft; a medieval seal matrix; a medieval/post-medieval dress fastener or toggle and a post-medieval harness mount.
The finds come from the site of a Late Iron Age to Roman settlement (NHER 26626).
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 67 32|
|Parish:||INGOLDISTHORPE, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
|SNETTISHAM, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Pre 1991. . At  (context 1).
Drawing labelled Ingoldisthorpe with this grid reference, but national grid reference is in Snettisham Parish.
Object resembling chariot fitting in form of animal head. No details received by NLA from NCM by 1999.
Found by .
This object was reidentified as a Late Iron Age copper alloy cast strainer bowl spout in the form of a fish head. Measures 80mm long, 60mm high and 78mm diameter. Parallels at Beck Row, Suffolk and Felmersham-on-Ouse, Bedfordshire. It has been suggested that the model for the animal is an old male bream. D. Gurney (NLA), 6 September 2002.
Acquired by King's Lynn Museum in October 1992 (KILLM:1993.107).
See (S1) and (S2) in file.
E. Rose (NLA), 7 June 1999. Amended by A. Beckham (HES), 27 August 2019.
1998 to 1999. Metal detecting. .
Mostly in vicinity of :
7 Roman coins, 3 brooches, 2 horse-harness pendants, a furniture knob and strap-end.
?Roman loop from a swivel and a ?pin shaft.
Medieval seal matrix.
Post-medieval harness mount.
See lists in file.
K. Hinds (NLA), 23 August 2000. Amended by A. Beckham (HES), 13 April 2018.
July-November 2015. Metal-detecting. Site extended to the whole field. .
1 Roman coin.
Medieval/post-medieval dress fastener or toggle.
Information from PAS import.
A. Beckham (HES), 3 August 2016.
- FINDSPOT (Early Iron Age to Roman - 800 BC to 409 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Late Iron Age - 100 BC to 42 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Medieval to 19th Century - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- HARNESS FITTING (Early Iron Age to Roman - 800 BC to 409 AD)
- SIEVE (Late Iron Age - 100 BC to 42 AD)
- STRAINER (Late Iron Age - 100 BC to 42 AD)
- VESSEL (Late Iron Age - 100 BC to 42 AD)
- BOW BROOCH (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- COIN (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FURNITURE FITTING (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- HARNESS PENDANT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- PIN (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- STRAP FITTING (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- COIN (Roman - 202 AD to 202 AD)
- SEAL MATRIX (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- DRESS FASTENER (UNKNOWN) (15th Century to 17th Century - 1500 AD to 1700 AD)
- HARNESS FITTING (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Sources and further reading
|---||Illustration: Finds Illustrations. |
|---||Map: Finder's Map.. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Illustration: Finds Illustrations. |
|<S2>||Monograph: Bates, E.. 2002. A Roman Maltings at Beck Row.. East Anglian Archaeology. |
|26626||Part of: Extensive Late Iron Age to Roman settlement (Monument)|
Find out more...