|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||World War Two spigot mortar base|
The concrete base of a World War Two anti tank mortar, with a steel mounting pin on its top. Built in about 1940, it was part of the anti invasion defence network of the time (NHER 43669). A spigot mortar emplacement has been identified on aerial photographs to the approximately 60m to the north, see NHER 43669. It is probable they in fact the same structure, either due to an incorrect grid reference or the spigot mortar being moved as some point since the 1940s.
Images - none
Mortar spigot, standing high in water meadow north of road.
Site form in file.
E. Rose (NLA), 15 April 1999.
May 2006. Norfolk NMP.
A spigot mortar emplacement is visible on aerial photographs to the approximately 60m to the north at TM 4606 9961 and has been recorded as part of NHER 43669. It seems likely that these two recorded spigot mortars are the same structure. Either due to an incorrect grid reference or the spigot mortar being moved as some point since the 1940s.
S. Massey (NMP), 17 May 2006.
- SPIGOT MORTAR EMPLACEMENT (World War Two - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|43669||Part of: World War Two World War Two pillboxes, roadblocks, tank traps and barbed wire (Monument)|
Find out more...