|Type of record:||Find Spot|
|Name:||Prehistoric flint and post medieval pottery and metal items, Bacton to Great Yarmouth pipeline project|
Fieldwalking and metal detecting during the laying of the Bacton to Great Yarmouth gas pipeline in 1997 recovered prehistoric worked and burnt flints. Also found was a concentration of post medieval pottery and tile fragments, a post medieval jetton, token and coin.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 4066 1900|
|Parish:||LUDHAM, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
|POTTER HEIGHAM, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
January-April 1997. Systematic Fieldwalking and Metal-detecting Survey.
Field survey on proposed route of Bacton to Great Yarmouth pipeline (Field/location RDX 23.3 (incorrectly marked as RDX 23.2 on plan)).
Prehistoric flints including flakes, retouched flakes and a borer were recovered. A concentration of post medieval pottery and ceramic building material was also recorded along with a Rose farthing token, a 17th to 18th century farthing and a jetton. This concentration was located on the northern side of an east-west road, and tile was so dense that only approximately one in three sherds were retained.
See report (S1) for further details.
The archive associated with this work has been deposited with the Norwich Castle Museum (NWHCM : 2011.55 and NWHCM : 2017.395).
E. Rose (NLA) November 1998. Amended by P. Watkins (HES), 12 May 2019.
- FINDSPOT (Prehistoric - 1000000 BC to 42 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- BORER (Lower Palaeolithic to Late Iron Age - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
- FLAKE (Lower Palaeolithic to Late Iron Age - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
- RETOUCHED FLAKE (Lower Palaeolithic to Late Iron Age - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
- COIN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- JETTON (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- TILE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- TOKEN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Unpublished Contractor Report: Bates, S. and Crowson, A. 2004. Assessment Report and Updated Project Design for Archaeological Excavations and Watching Brief on the Bacton to Great Yarmouth Gas Pipeline, Norfolk. Norfolk Archaeological Unit. 924. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Unpublished Contractor Report: Crowson, A. 1997. Bacton to Great Yarmouth Power Station Pipeline Archaeological Fieldwalking Survey. Norfolk Archaeological Unit. 262. RDX 23.3 (report), RDX 23.2 (plan). |
Related records - none
Find out more...