|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Medieval moated site of Peak Hall|
This medieval moated enclosure is known to have been the site of a manor house, although a map of the area shows that it had been abandoned by 1596. The surviving section is a rectangular earthwork with large, wide waterfilled ditches expanding at the northeast to form a pond, and a causeway to the west. The earthworks of an outer enclosure were bulldozed at some point in the past, and an L-shaped soilmark of an outbuilding was recorded inside this.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 8957 2156|
|Parish:||TITTLESHALL, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
Moated site (Ordnance Survey).
Abandoned by 1596 (see map at Holkham Hall).
Earthworks of an outer enclosure bulldozed. L-shaped soilmark of an outbuilding visible inside this. No pottery found.
P. Wade-Martins in (S1).
E. Rose (NAU).
Rectangular moat with large, wide waterfilled ditches, expanding on northeast to form a pond. Causeway on west. Island raised up, but overgrown with dense nettles of varying heights (suggesting uneven ground?). Ditches wooded.
Visit and compiled by E. Rose (NAU), 3 June 1981.
Ditches dry, pond boggy. Causeway masked by undergrowth. Banks support old hawthorn, though clear to north. Interior has pheasant pen in east section, this planted with young ash and cherry. Other young trees planted round perimeter of site to north, east and south. Dense scrub in places. Banks suffering from erosion around old exposed tree roots and animal disturbance, this severe to south and west on inner banks.
Site form in file.
H. Paterson (NAU), October 1990.
Visited with new owner and Richard MacMullen (FWAG) to discuss the possibility of including the moated site in a stewardship scheme. Arable reversion round the moat, some tree surgery and scrub clearance would be considered with the option of public access. Footpath to west already links with Godwick deserted settlement (NHER 1104). Failing stewardship, Section 17 agreement may be considered.
H. Paterson (NLA), 13 November 2001.
24 October and 14 November 2003. Visits.
Visited on two occasions, with agent and officers from DEFRA (RDS) and Forest Authority to discuss management options under Stewardship. It is hoped to implement arable reversion on 1ha to west and establish 6m margins around remainder of moat. Felling of trees/scrub on the moat may include removal of most of the scrub from inner bank, and selective felling and coppicing on interior.
H. Paterson (A&E), 17 November 2003.
- BUILDING (Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1539 AD?)
- ENCLOSURE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- MOAT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Aerial Photograph: TF8921J, L, M, F, R, S. |
|---||Monograph: Wade-Martins, P. 1980. Fieldwork and Excavation on Village Sites in Launditch Hundred, Norfolk. East Anglian Archaeology. No 10. S1. |
|---||(No record type): Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Tittleshall. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|---||Slide: Various. Slide. |
Related records - none
Find out more...