|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Undercroft, possibly of the Carmelite Friary|
In the Jarrold's Printing Works the Printing Museum is situated in a brick-built undercroft, which may be connected to the Carmelite Friary. Excavations in the 1950s discovered the footings of a number of Monastic buildings, a brick ossuary and a number of burials. A futher excavation in 1978 also discovered evidence of structures nearby.
The earliest phase of the undercroft itself was constructed in the 14th century, and may have incorporated the walls of the now abandoned church. In the 15th century the undercroft was extended and the vaulting rebuilt, and by the 17th century it was being used as part of a smithy.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 23412 09262|
|Parish:||NORWICH, NORWICH, NORFOLK|
The Printing Museum, Jarrold's Printing Works, Cowgate.
Brick-built undercroft, possibly connected to the Carmelite Friary. Now used as printing museum. Late 13th-14th century walls with 15th century vaulting.
Information from (S1).
1889. Post medieval pottery found.
1921. Medieval-post medieval pottery found.
1950. Medieval-post medieval sherds found.
1952. Foundations of walls of Carmelite Friary and burials revealed in digging foundations.
1958. Medieval book clasp found.
See (S2) for comparison.
1958. Excavations revealed footings of Monastic buildings and brick ossuary and numbers of burials. Remains of about sixteen skeletons (human).
See (S5) for further details.
1969. Undercroft floor about street level.
November 1973. Demolition of four cottages along the frontage of Whitefriars exposed wooden beams.
See secondary file for photographs.
S. Howard (NLA), 8 January 2010.
1978. Excavation by M. W. Atkin for the Norwich Survey on the site of what used to be 133 Cowgate. General occupation and building activity.
14th century. The earliest phase of the undercroft was built, incorporating the walls of the now abandoned ?church.
15th century. The undercroft was extended and the vaulting rebuilt.
Early 17th century. The undercroft was used as part of a smithy.
Late 17th century and later. There was a change of use to an unknown function.
Compiled by M. Atkin.
See (S8) for further details.
See file for full details of all finds, and schedule.
Article  missing form file [J Yates. 12 July 2010].
- CARMELITE FRIARY (Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1539 AD?)
- CEMETERY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- INHUMATION (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- TRACKWAY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- UNDERCROFT (Medieval - 1300 AD to 1499 AD)
- BLACKSMITHS WORKSHOP (Post Medieval - 1600 AD to 1699 AD)
- ANIMAL REMAINS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- BOOK FITTING (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- CLASP (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- COFFIN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FLOOR TILE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- HUMAN REMAINS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- HUMAN REMAINS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- SHOE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- UNIDENTIFIED OBJECT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1999. Tribute plaque unveiled. 4 August. |
|---||Article in Monograph: Atkin, M. and Evans, D. H. 2002. Excavations in North-East Norwich. Excavations in Norwich 1971-1978 Part III. East Anglian Archaeology. Atkin, M. and Evans, D. H. No 100 pp 154-198. |
|---||Unpublished Document: NCM Staff. 1973-1989. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card - Norwich. |
|---||Archive: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Norwich - Post Roman. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Scheduling Record: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. |
|<S2>||Article in Serial: Moorhouse, S. 1972. Finds from Basing House, Hampshire (c. 1540-1645): Part Two. Post-Medieval Archaeology. Vol 5 pp 35-76. p 59 Fig 25 No 162. |
|<S3>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Evening News. 1962. Could Lose Inspectors. 21 June. |
|<S4>||Article in Serial: 1959. Other Archaeological Excavations 1958. Norfolk Research Committee Bulletin. Series 1 No 11 (for 1958) pp 1-2. p 2. |
|<S5>||Article in Serial: Wilson, D. M. & Hurst, J. G. 1960. Medieval Britain in 1958. Medieval Archaeology. Vol III (for 1959) pp 295-326. p 305. |
|<S6>||Article in Serial: Atkins, M. W., Sutermeister, M. and Carter, A. 1978. Excavations in Norwich - 1977/8. The Norwich Survey - Seventh Interim Report. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXXVII Pt I pp 19-55. |
|<S7>||Monograph: Jennings, S. 1981. Eighteen Centuries of Pottery from Norwich. East Anglian Archaeology. No 13. p 246. |
|<S9>||Unpublished Contractor Report: Penn, K. 2001. Jarrold's Printing Works, Whitefriars, Norwich. An Archaeological Desk-Based Assessment. Norfolk Archaeological Unit. 630. |
|26598||Part of: Carmelite Friary and Baptist Graveyard, Jarrolds/Whitefriars, Norwich (Monument)|
|430||Part of: Precinct of Whitefriars (Monument)|
Find out more...