Record Details

NHER Number:3386
Type of record:Monument
Name:Earthwork of possible mill mound

Summary

An earthwork mound was first noted here in 1949. The mound may have been associated with quarrying that took place in the field, or it may have been a mill mound. The mound was no longer visible on a site visit in 1981.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TF 696 187
Map Sheet:TF61NE
Parish:LEZIATE, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

February 1949.
Mound southwest of Ashwicken church on edge of field which surrounds church (exact site?). Field has been quarried for carstone but Thatcher thinks it is not upcast from quarrying. Irregular.
About 18.3m (60ft) across, 4.5m to 4.8m (15 to 16ft) high, flat top.
?Mill Mound
R.R. Clarke (NCM).

(S1) by R.R. Clarke (NCM) who adds 'doubtful' at a later date, but without any indication that he visited the site.
E. Rose (NAU).

June 1981.
No mound of this description in area indicated; the old pit that occupies most of the field is grassed and does not appear to have been worked since 1949. However, seen from the churchyard, the old ground surface on the far side of the pit does give the false impression of being a mound, though nowhere near as high as 4.5m (15ft).
E. Rose (NAU) 16 June 1981.

January 2008. Norfolk NMP
An earthwork mound, possibly a mill mound has previously been recorded in this area. No evidence of this feature was visible at this location on aerial photographs examined during the Norfolk Aggregates Assessment NMP project. However a possible earthwork mound of similar diameter to that described above (18m) was identified 70m to the east (NHER 50824).
J. Albone (NMP), 24 January 2008

Monument Types

  • MOUND (Unknown date)
  • WINDMILL MOUND (Unknown date)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

<S1>Archive: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.

Related records

50824Related to: Earthwork of a mound possibly a barrow or windmill mound (Monument)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service