|Type of record:||Landscape|
This space belongs to the town and was bequeathed in 1475 by the vicar as place for public sports. It is known that archery butts were erected here, and a school built in the centre in 1724, although this was moved to the south end in the 20th century. This land forms a group with the Antinghams (NHER 33713) and the churchyard.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 8220 0885|
|Parish:||SWAFFHAM, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
Town lands, bequeathed in 1475 by the vicar as place for public sports. Archery butts erected. School built in centre 1724 but this was moved to south end in 20th century.
Norfolk Historic Gardens Survey grade three-star (national importance) as part of important group of public open space of early origin, together with churchyard and the Antinghams.
See report (S1) for details.
Compiled by E. Rose (NLA), 14 July 1998.
- BUTTS (15th Century to 16th Century - 1475 AD? to 1539 AD?)
- PARK (15th Century to 21st Century - 1475 AD? to 2100 AD)
- SPORTS SITE (15th Century to 21st Century - 1475 AD? to 2100 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|<S1>||Unpublished Document: Taigel, A. 1997. Norfolk Gardens Trust: Town Gardens Survey - Volume One. Norfolk Gardens Trust. |
|33713||Related to: The Antinghams open land (Landscape)|
Find out more...