Record Details

NHER Number:3317
Type of record:Monument
Name:The Rey, medieval moated site

Summary

The Rey is a moated manor site, originally constructed around 1400 by John Wodehouse, and according to William of Worcester demolished in 1454 by Lord Scales because of land disputes, the materials being used to build Middleton Towers. A licence to crenellate and empark was issued in 1447 for this site to Thomas Daniel, King's squire. This suggests that following the destruction of the original by Lord Scales, the manor was rebuilt.

The rectangular moat was recorded by Ordnance Survey, although by 1974 aerial photographs showed only two sides remaining, and the third visible as cropmark. A site visit in 1979 recorded that the moat had been completely destroyed.

Analysis of the aerial photography indicates that the fourth, western side, of the moat was infilled with stone, or compacted material, possibly building rubble. The main moat was also surrounded by several rectilinear enclosures and associated linear features. These may have been related to the layout of buildings and gardens associated with the manor. Unfortunately only a handful of coins and pottery sherds have survived from any of the buildings that once stood on this site.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TF 6956 2314
Map Sheet:TF62SE
Parish:ROYDON (NEAR LYNN), WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

The Rey.

Moated manor site around 1400. Site of Manor House built by John Wodehouse around 1400 (certainly pre 1430 when he died) and according to William of Worcester demolished 1454 by Lord Scales because of land disputes, the materials being used to build Middleton Towers.

1838. Found here (Bryant) silver coin of Edward III with a brass coin of Queen Isabella and another of Edward III with Isabella's arms
Rectangular moat marked on map (S1), Ordnance Survey cards (S2) mention brick rubble spead. Unit aerial photographs from 1974 show only two sides remaining, third visible as cropmark.

29 September 1979. Site visited.
Totally destroyed, no traces in carrot field. It is remarkable that the moat should have survived for this long if it is true that the hall only stood for fifty years.
E. Rose (NAU).

'MED pot' written here on KLM 6" map.
E. Rose (NAU).

Dr C. L. H. Coulson, in letter 14 February 1989 states that a licence to crenellate and empark was given to Thomas Daniel, King's squire, in 1447 apparently for this site. This suggests the house was rebuilt after Lord Scales' demolition, thus explaining the survival of the moat.
E. Rose (NAU), 17 February 1989.

Copy of licence to crenellate in secondary file.

25 July 1996. NLA aerial photography.
Broad moat still visible, three sides showing as ditches. The fourth, western side is producing a slightly negative cropmark, suggesting it has been infilled with stone, compacted material, possibly building rubble. The main moat is also surrounded by several rectilinear enclosures and associated linears. These may have been related to the layout of buildings and gardens associated with the manor.
S. Massey (NLA), 22 November 2001.

September 2011.
Area of site extended to include all cropmarks visible on (S3) and two linear features shown at TF6943823206 on (S4). The two linear features could be the remnants of fishponds.
J. Albone and D. Robertson (HES), 2 September 2011.

Monument Types

  • MANOR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • MOAT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • RECTILINEAR ENCLOSURE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Associated Finds

  • ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Undated)
  • COIN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • COIN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Protected Status

  • SHINE

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: TF 6923A-D.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Roydon (Near Lynn).
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Map: Ordnance Survey, First Edition, 6 Inch. 1879-1886. Ordnance Survey 1st Edition 6 inch map..
<S2>Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TF 62 SE 20.
<S3>Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1996. TF 6923G - H.
<S4>Map: Ordnance Survey. 1883. Ordnance Survey 6 inch map.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2020 Norfolk Historic Environment Service