|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Rare type of World War Two gun emplacement|
A rare type of a World War Two machine gun emplacement, which was buried or demolished in 1991.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 1021 1824|
|Parish:||GREAT WITCHINGHAM, BROADLAND, NORFOLK|
THIS MACHINE GUN MOUNT WAS PREVIOUSLY RECORDED UNDER NHER 7747 (Lenwade Watermill).
A rare 1940/41 machine gun mount stood in the garden opposite Lenwade Mill until 1991 when it was either buried or demolished. The mount had a hollow tube instead of a solid pintel of a spigot mortar.
See (S1), Survey No. L2-2, in secondary file.
D. Walker (NLA), August 1996.
- GUN EMPLACEMENT (World War Two to Cold War - 1939 AD to 1991 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Unpublished document: Norfolk Defensive Structures Survey record form. |
|50682||Related to: Site of World War Two spigot mortar emplacement (Monument)|
Find out more...