|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||St Edmund's Church, Swanton Novers|
St Edmund's church is a remote church, situated some 500m west of the village, an estate village for Melton Constable Hall. The body of the church was almost totally rebuilt in 1881, by Edwin Dolby of Abingdon, and the tower was rebuilt in 1960. However the traces of a former south doorway with a round head in the nave may indicate that the original church was constructed in the early medieval period. Inside there are two 15th century features, an ogee-headed piscina and an octagonal font, as well as a good 19th century stained glass window in the south side of the nave.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 0154 3237|
|Parish:||SWANTON NOVERS, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
J. Denny (North Norfolk District Council) notes conglomerate quoins, blocked central round-headed door in brick (Roman?) and traces of window cut by later one, all in south wall.
E. Rose (NAU).
1962. From church.
Two pieces of iron-bound conglomerate.
In NCM. 
Compiled by R. R. Clarke (NCM).
- CHURCH (Medieval to Modern - 1066 AD? to 2050 AD)
- ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Undated)
- TILE (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
Sources and further reading
|---||Aerial Photograph: TG0132A-C, E, F, (Unit), D, (CUC),. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N. & Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. |
|---||Website: Knott, S.. 2006. Norfolk Churches website.. St Edmund, Swanton Novers. |
Related records - none
Find out more...