Record Details

NHER Number:31607
Type of record:Monument
Name:Wighton post medieval water meadows

Summary

Earthworks of post medieval water meadows can be seen on aerial photographs. The brick culverts and sluices were created around 1802 and modified soon after. They have now been destroyed.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TF 9561 3807
Map Sheet:TF93NE
Parish:WALSINGHAM, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK
WIGHTON, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

Large site includes NHER 25399, NHER 28562, NHER 28561 and NHER 28560.

1946. RAF air photograph.
Earthworks of flooded area of meadows with two areas of north to south ditches. Rather subdued, straddling main watercourse. The flooded area is in the west of TF 9438. To east, various channels indicate the feeder complex.

1970. Ordnance Survey air photograph.
Area now arable, cropmarks of part of flooded area, most channels upstream still visible.

1995. Visit.
In conversation with [1] who remembered them being bulldozed, many brick culverts and sluices were destroyed. West end ground visited, no features except brick culvert across main channel. The complex was formed in 1802 and modified soon after.
See (S1).
B. Cushion (NLA) October 1995.

Monument Types

  • WATER MEADOW (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • WATERCOURSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • SHINE

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: TF 93/TF 9437/B, 70 008 211.
---Secondary File: Secondary file.
<S1>Article in serial: Wade-Martins, S. and Williamson, T. 1994. Floated water-meadows in Norfolk: a misplaced innovation?. Agricultural History Review. Vol 42 Pt 1 pp 20-37.

Related records

25399Part of: Possible site of Roman building (Monument)
28560Part of: Prehistoric burnt mound (Monument)
28561Part of: Prehistoric burnt mound (Monument)
28562Part of: Prehistoric burnt mound (Monument)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service