|Type of record:||Find Spot|
|Name:||Multi period finds and Roman patera handle|
Metal detecting in 1994 recovered a number of metal objects from the Roman to post medieval periods, including a Roman patera handle.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TM 16 85|
|Parish:||TIVETSHALL ST MARY, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
1994. Metal detector finds. 
Roman patera handle fragment, mid 1st century.
See (S1) and rubbing of inscription (S2).
See for information (S3).
11th century box mount, base of quadruped type. Hole in flange.
Medieval ?from spout of vessel.
?Medieval vessel escutcheon for handle (?).
Early post medieval stud.
See form in secondary file.
W. Milligan (NCM), 23 November 1994.
- FINDSPOT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- COIN (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- VESSEL (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- BOX (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- VESSEL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- STUD (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Publication: Williams, D. 1997. Late Saxon stirrup-strap mounts. No 283; pp 67 and 69. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Photograph: NCC Find Identification and Recording Service. c. 1975-2000. HES Find Polaroid Collection. HES Find Polaroid Collection. polaroid. black and white. |
|<S2>||Illustration: [Norwich Castle Museum staff]. 1994. Rubbing of inscription on Roman patera handle fragment. Paper. 1:1. |
|<S3>||Publication: Allason-Jones and Miket. 1984. South Shields. F16 358, p.146.. |
Related records - none
Find out more...