|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Possible site of Beck Hall, Quidenham|
Grassland to the north of Wilby Hall was surveyed in 1995. The features recorded were mainly medieval in date and included hollow ways, probable toft boundaries, ponds and remnants of other enclosure boundaries. These may suggest that this is the site of Beck Hall (see also NHER 31185). Work here also recovered pottery sherds from various periods including Saxon Ipswich Ware.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TM 0317 9078|
|Parish:||QUIDENHAM, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
1995. Earthwork survey at 1:1000 of hollow ways, probable toft boundaries, ponds and remnants of other enclosure boundaries.
Pottery fragments found by  and smaller quantities by B.Cushion (NLA) to be identified by A.Rogerson (NLA).
B. Cushion (NLA) May 1995.
Report in file.
Pottery is Iron Age, Roman, medieval, Late Saxon, post medieval and a medieval hone. See in file.
A. Rogerson (NLA) 16 June 1995.
See publication in reference (S1) which also suggests this as a possible site for Beck Hall.
E. Rose (NLA) 21 February 2000.
- POND (Undated)
- ENCLOSURE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- GREAT HOUSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- HOLLOW WAY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- MANOR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- TOFT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POT (Iron Age - 800 BC to 42 AD)
- POT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- POT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- WHETSTONE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Sources and further reading
|---||Monograph: Cushion, B. and Davison, A.. 2003. Earthworks of Norfolk.. East Anglian Archaeology. Vol 104. p 86. |
|---||Article in serial: Gurney, D. (ed.). 1996. Excavations and Surveys in Norfolk 1995. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XLII Pt III pp 397-412. p 407. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Article in serial: Davison, A. and Cushion, B. 1999. The Archaeology of the Hargham Estate. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XLIII Pt II pp 257-274. |
|57481||Related to: Earthworks relating to possible site of Beck Hall, (NHER 31185 and 31186) (Monument)|
Find out more...