|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of Early Saxon inhumation cemetery|
The number of Early Saxon brooches recovered during metal detecting have revealed that this is the site of an Early Saxon inhumation cemetery. Roman coins and medieval and post medieval metal finds have also been found on the site.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||Not displayed|
|Parish:||HOLT, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
March/April 1995. Metal detecting finds.
4 Roman coins.
Medieval skillet handle terminal.
5 Early Saxon brooches suggesting cemetery.
See full details in file.
A. Rogerson (NLA) 9 May 1995.
1995. Metal detecting finds.
3 more Early Saxon brooches found, formerly wrongly located as site NHER 31696.
Details in file.
A. Rogerson (NLA) 11 November 1995.
1996. Site visit by A.Rogerson (NLA) confirmed that NHER 31172 had been wrongly located and that NHER 31696 does not exist.
More metalwork found.
See full explanation in file.
A. Rogerson (NLA) 19 April 1996.
1996. Metal detecting finds.
Medieval 3 coins, 2 buckles, vessel fragment, ampulla.
Post medieval coin.
Early Saxon 5 cruciform brooch fragments.
See list in file.
V. Fryer (NCM) 3 June 1997.
- CEMETERY (Early Saxon - 411 AD to 650 AD)
- INHUMATION (Early Saxon - 411 AD to 650 AD)
- COIN (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- BROOCH (Early Saxon - 411 AD to 650 AD)
- AMPULLA (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- BUCKLE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- COIN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- SKILLET (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- VESSEL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- COIN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Sources and further reading
|---||Photograph: 1995. LCY 16-17, Early Saxon small-long brooch fragment.. |
|---||Photograph: 1995. LCY 18-23 Early Saxon cruciform brooch fragments.. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
Related records - none
Find out more...