|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of medieval settlement and multi-period finds from Clampe Close field|
Prehistoric flints and fragments pottery dating from the Late Prehistoric to the post medieval periods have been found during fieldwalking. A concentration of medieval pottery was found, suggesting that this was the site of a medieval settlement, one of a number of such sites strung out along the edge of a former green. Metal-detecting in 2011 recovered a Roman coin.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TM 05 99|
|Parish:||MORLEY, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
9 November 1993. Fieldwalking finds.
Iron Age, prehistoric, Roman, medieval sherds.
See full lists and plans in file.
E. Rose (NLA) 28 March 1994.
(S1) notes that this is the site of a probable medieval settlement, one of a number of medieval settlements which stood on the edge of a former green shown on (S2) and (S3).
See (S1) for more details.
S. Spooner (NLA) 16 May 2006
March-April 2011. Metal-detecting.
One Roman coin.
See lists in file.
A. Marsden (HES), 23 May 2011.
- SETTLEMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Prehistoric - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
- POT (Late Prehistoric - 4000 BC to 42 AD)
- RETOUCHED FLAKE (Early Neolithic to Late Bronze Age - 4000 BC to 701 BC)
- POT (Iron Age - 800 BC to 42 AD)
- POT (Late Iron Age to Roman - 42 AD to 409 AD)
- POT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- COIN (Roman - 50 AD to 150 AD)
- COIN (Roman - 310 AD to 312 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- WHETSTONE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- CLOTH SEAL (Medieval - 1300 AD to 1350 AD)
- BUCKLE (Medieval - 1400 AD to 1500 AD)
- POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- POT (Post Medieval - 1550 AD to 1675 AD)
- CROTAL (Post Medieval - 1600 AD to 1800 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Map: Finder's Map.. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Unpublished Document: Davison, A.. 1994. Results of Fieldwalking around Morley Research Centre (Manor Farm). |
|<S2>||Map: Waterman, T.. 1629. Map of Morley St Botolph with St Peter. |
|<S3>||Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797. |
Related records - none
Find out more...