|Type of record:||Monument|
Quidenham Park existed by 1762 when it was altered by the 3rd Earl of Albemarle. It was extended in 1794 and again in 1815, with a section of the River Wittle being widened to form a lake. The kitchen garden that survives here dates to the late 18th century, while the remains of shrub and woodland gardens date to the 19th century.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TM 033 872|
|Parish:||QUIDENHAM, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
Historic Parkland on (S1), but not included in (S2).In 1762 Quindenham park and hall (NHER 10820) were sold to George Keppel, the 3rd earl of Albermarle. The 3rd earl greatly improved the estate and added plantations at some point between 1762 and his death in 1772.(S3) shows a roughly circular park of 100 hectares. (S3) also shows the main approach to the Hall coming from the west. Within the park two blocks of planting are shown to the south.
The estate was clearly extended between 1794 and the preliminary Ordnance Survey map of 1815 (See (S1) for details), in the south the park increased by about 25 hectares into the parish of Kenninghall. By 1815 a continuous woodland belt had been planted to the north and east, and the tree blocks from Faden’s map were still evident. A noticeable change since 1794 was in the approach drives as the drive on (S3) had been removed and replaced by three others.
An illustration of the park in 1818 (See (S1) for details) shows that sheep were grazing in the park by this date. The (S4) shows that to the north west of the house lay the Kitchen Garden but it could be earlier as the Kitchen Garden walls suggest a late 18th century date. (S4) also shows two small geometric gardens, to the east and west of the house. It also shows the woodland belts on the other side of the river, which seem to have remained largely unchanged. To the west of the hall lay a series of buildings comprising of the Church (NHER 10793), Rectory and Home Farm (NHER 46248).
An eighteenth century estate map dated between 1841 and 1900 (See (S1) for details) shows a more geometrically shaped woodland in the south west, with 4 other clumps east and south. Also shown are two lodges, one at the south and one at the west entrance. By(S5) it is clear that one of the tree clumps contains an ice house (NHER 10786).A new area of woodland is depicted in the South of the park known as ‘the crescent’ and a 20th century ride is named on (S5) as ‘King Edward’s Ride’ and extended 0.75 miles.
The park is now almost entirely under the plough, but extensive areas of plantation remain, particularly in the north west covering over 10 hectares.
See (S1) and (S2) for more information. See (S3), (S4) and (S5) for more details.
E. Rose (NLA) 22 March 1994.
Updated by E. Nicholl (UEA), 14 November 2011.
July 2012. Norfolk NMP.
Quidenham Park with avenue of trees visible on (S6).
E. Bales (NMP), 02 July 2012.
Long lengths of parkland wall appear to survive around Quidenham Park, especially to the north west. The wall is flint with brick / tile coping.
K. Powell (HES), 17 March 2015
- GARDEN WALL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- GATE LODGE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- ICEHOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- KITCHEN GARDEN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- PARK (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- RIDE (Early 20th Century to 21st Century - 1901 AD to 2100 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|<S1>||Unpublished Document: Norfolk County Council. [unknown]. Inventory of Historic Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in Norfolk.. |
|<S2>||Publication: Historic Buildings and Monuments Commission. Register of Historic Parks and Gardens. |
|<S3>||Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797. |
|<S4>||Map: 1841. Quidenham Tithe Award Map. |
|<S5>||Map: Ordnance Survey. 1906 to 1907. Ordnance Survey 2nd edition 6 inch map. |
|<S6>||Oblique Aerial Photograph: CUCAP. 1951. NMR TM 0387/1-5 (CUCAP 8035/GB24-28) 20-JUN-1951. |
|10820||Part of: Quidenham Hall (Building)|
Find out more...