|Type of record:||Building|
The post medieval hall is now in use as a Carmelite Monastery. As Quidenham Hall it was the home of the Earls of Albermarle and built in 1606. However, it has been subject to alterations ever since the 18th century. The brick construction features octagonal turrets as well as Tuscan style pediments and pilasters. The walled garden attached to this property dates to the original construction.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TM 0325 8772|
|Parish:||QUIDENHAM, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
Now Carmelite Monastery. Former home of Earls of Albemarle. 1606, rebuilt mid 18th century and altered since. Brick. North front four storeys, lower obscured by modern cloister. Four bay façade, central two rebated, contained within octagonal turrets. Fragments of pedimented brick crossed windows remain but mainly 18th century windows. Front obscured in part by 20th century lift shaft. Parapet. East front dates to aorund 1750: two storeys, seven bays, central three under pediment. Basement storey. Pediments on windows here are of 1892. String course; quoins to corners and edging central bays. Moulded parapet and cornice. South front late 18th century, two and a half storeys on basement in nine bays, centre three rebated. Three bay porch with Tuscan pilasters. Console eaves parapet. Three bay, two storey bows east and west of south front, lower pediments 19th century. West front 18th century five bays, two and half storeys with parapet, giant clasping pilaster, three bay loggia of giant Tuscan columns supporting pediment. Interior has library by Tatham 1820; apsidal with Corinthian columns, marble fireplace. Plaster ceilings here and drawing room. Main staircase ceiling very fine plasterwork 1619 with pendant in form of Noah's Ark. Original walled garden.
Information from (S1).
(S2) dates 18th century work to 1762.
Architect's model of original house now in Gressenhall Rural Life Museum.
Alterations to the ground floor accomodations have been planned. These alterations will partially effect the main building.
See (S3) and (S4) for further details.
H. Hamilton (NLA), 04 April 2008.
July 2012. Norfolk NMP.
The hall and related garden features are clearly visible on the available aerial photographs (S5-S7). Possible linear features which may relate to the original garden layout are visible to the south of the hall façade, centred on TM 0327 8763 (S7). These have not been mapped, however, since they are only faintly visible on one set of photographs and may in fact be recent paths.
E. Bales (NMP), 17 July 2012.
- GARDEN WALL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- GREAT HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- MONASTERY (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
- Listed Building
- Listed Building
Sources and further reading
|---||Aerial Photograph: TM0387 E-G,H-L. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|---||Archive: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Post-Medieval. Quidenham. |
|<S1>||Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest. |
|<S2>||Serial: Bryant, T. H.. 1898-1915. The Churches of Norfolk.. Vols 1-19.. |
|<S3>||Unpublished document: Annahigh Consultancy Ltd.. 2008. Design and Access Statement for Alterations to ground floor accommodation, Quidenham Hall, Quidenham, Norfolk.. |
|<S4>||Graphic material: Various. Various. Architectural plans.. |
|<S5>||Vertical Aerial Photograph: RAF. 1946. RAF 3G/TUD/UK/59 5240-1 05-FEB-1946 (NMR). |
|<S6>||Vertical Aerial Photograph: RAF. 1947. RAF CPE/UK/1938 3115-6 18-JAN-1947 (NMR). |
|<S7>||Oblique Aerial Photograph: CUCAP. 1951. NMR TM 0387/1-5 (CUCAP 8035/GB24-28) 20-JUN-1951. |
|30517||Parent of: Quidenham Park (Monument)|
Find out more...