|Type of record:||Monument|
Shadwell Park was laid out in the early 18th century, with a large lake, and plantation belts which ensured the privacy of the house from the surrounding roads. The Hall and formal gardens are bounded by a brick ha-ha, and there is a grand castellated entrance to the kitchen garden, probably added in the mid 19th century when the house was rebuilt. The lake in the park and the formal gardens were extended in the 19th century.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TL 919 827|
|Parish:||BRETTENHAM, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
Landscape park laid out by the son of Robert Buxton who built the mansion about 1720.
The plaque with the date 1730 in the grounds, see NHER 29364, may therefore be relevant.
Present layout very similar to that shown by (S1): large lake with various islands, including Dog Island to south of River Thet ending in Cascade Wood.
Planations to southwest and along road to south, including Stake Wood, bounded by a deep ha-ha and bank. This wood contains later gravel pit for estate and a sunken entrance, now overgrown.
Hall bounded by brick ha-ha; gardens with winding sunken paths to southeast, see NHER 29364; walled gardens south of these, with pond and reservoir, later replaced by water tower.
Three icehouses in park,see NHER 29363, 26364 and 26365.
Area across road to south, though not within park, is clearly planted to enhace view, plantation near Seven Hills on (S1) retains earth bank around it.
E. Rose (NLA), 3 February 1993.
(S2) says lake was extended in 19th century and formal gardens added west of house.
E. Rose (NLA), 11 May 1993.
(S3) shows grand castellated entrance to kitchen gardens not seen at time of above visit.
Presumably contemporary with one of the later stages of the hall.
E. Rose (NLA), 11 August 1993.
January 2011. Norfolk NMP.
The earthworks of probable medieval field boundary banks and a trackway or road of medieval to post medieval date were identified on aerial photographs within the park, see record NHER 54568 for details. The aerial photographs also revealed evidence of World War Two activity within the park, including two military camps within the southern part of the park (NHER 54570-1) and a possible firing range to the east of the house (NHER 54569).
S. Horlock (NMP), 28 January 2011.
- HA HA (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- KITCHEN GARDEN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- LANDSCAPE PARK (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- TERRACED GARDEN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- WALLED GARDEN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
- Registered Park or Garden
Sources and further reading
|---||Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1996. TL 9283V-AA; TL 9282A. |
|---||Publication: Pevsner, N.. Northwest and South Norfolk. |
|---||Article in serial: Mark Girouard. 1964. Shadwell Park, Norfolk- I.. Country Life. 2 July, p1. |
|---||Article in serial: Mark Girouard. 1964. Shadwell Park, Norfolk - II.. Country Life. 9 July, P1. |
|---||Article in serial: Hazel Le Rougetel. 1978. Tall oaks from little acorns.. Country Life. 7 December, p1. |
|---||Photograph: Shadwell Park, Brettenham. Print. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797. |
|<S2>||Scheduling record: English Heritage. Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England.. |
|<S3>||Photograph: Unknown. |
|6090||Part of: Shadwell Court (Building)|
Find out more...