|Type of record:||Find Spot|
|Name:||Multi-period objects and pottery sherds|
Prehistoric flints, Iron Age, Roman, Late Saxon and medieval pottery fragments, post medieval bricks, oyster shells, iron nails and animal bones were found on the surface in 1992. Metal detecting in 1997 and 1998 recovered an exceptional Roman knife handle in the form of a statuette, nine Roman coins, a Roman mount, and a post medieval button, jetton and token.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TL 96 81|
|Parish:||RIDDLESWORTH, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
June 1992. Surface finds.
Iron Age, Roman, Late Saxon, medieval sherds.
Post medieval bricks.
See file for details.
D. Gurney (NLA), 9 June 1992
1997. Metal detecting.
Exceptional Roman bronze knife handle in the form of a statuette of Hercules wrestling with Anteus on a pedestal. It has a groove on the reverse to accommodate a knife blade (now missing) and there is a small amount of corrosion within the groove, particularly at the base of the statue where the blade would have been rivetted to the handle.
Possible etched ?numerals on the face of the base. Very similar artefact style to one of the pepperpots in the Hoxne treasure.
K. Sussams (NCM), 18 December 1997.
1998. Roman acorn shaped mount.
Nine Roman coins.
Post medieval button, jetton and token.
See lists in file.
- FINDSPOT (Lower Palaeolithic to 19th Century - 1000000 BC to 1900 AD)
- ANIMAL REMAINS (Undated)
- CEREMONIAL OBJECT (Undated)
- MOLLUSCA REMAINS (Undated)
- NAIL (Undated)
- POT BOILER (Undated)
- QUERN (Undated)
- LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Lower Palaeolithic to Late Iron Age - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
- POT (Iron Age - 800 BC to 42 AD)
- BRACELET (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- COIN (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- HARNESS MOUNT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- KNIFE (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- POT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- POT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- BRICK (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- BUTTON (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- TOKEN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Sources and further reading
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
Related records - none
Find out more...