Record Details

NHER Number:28199
Type of record:Monument
Name:Roman coin, medieval objects

Summary

In 1997 a rapid identification survey of the adjacent woodland noticed a low mound in this area, which may be the remains of a Bronze Age round barrow. See NHER 61570 for discussion of this possible earthwork. Metal detecting between 1989 and 1990 recovered a Roman coin, a medieval gilt copper alloy disc, and a 13th century ring brooch.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TL 77 90
Map Sheet:TL79SE
Parish:WEETING WITH BROOMHILL, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK

Full description

5 August 1989 and 1990. Found with metal detector. [1]
Roman coin, 1st-2nd century AD; see form in file.
Medieval gilt bronze disc with engraved fleur de lys, perhaps inlaid in leather? Harness mount?
13th century ring brooch, plain ring with pin made of sheet looped round. Polaroid (S1) NCM.
Identified by S. Margeson 1989-1990.
W. Milligan (NCM), 24 April 1990.

December 1997. [2]
Noted during rapid identification survey of adjacent Forest Enterprise land in advance of destumping, by Mark Summers, Suffolk Archaeological Unit.
A low mound in the south-east corner of the field.
Possibly a barrow? at 14m OD.
D. Gurney (NLA), 9 December 1997.

February 2017. 'Brecks from Above' and Breckland National Mapping Programme.
See NHER 61570 for discussion of this possible earthwork.
S. Horlock (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 24th February 2017.

Associated Finds

  • COIN (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • BROOCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • DISC (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • HARNESS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Protected Status

  • SHINE

Sources and further reading

---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Photograph: NCC Find Identification and Recording Service. c. 1975-2000. HES Find Polaroid Collection. HES Find Polaroid Collection. polaroid. black and white.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2020 Norfolk Historic Environment Service