|Type of record:||Building|
Former estate cottages belonging to Oxburgh Hall, parts of the surviving building may relate to a chantry established in 1483 in the manor of Thomas Ode. The cottages are constructed from re-used limestone ashlar, brick and clunch, while the east wing is partly timber framed largely replaced with brick and flint. The cottages consist of a late medieval main block of one and a half storeys, with a 15th or 16th century side wing to the east projecting to the rear, and an 18th century side wing to the west projecting to the front and rear.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 7451 0149|
|Parish:||OXBOROUGH, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
Medieval chantry house founded 1483 in older manor. The east wing may be remains of the older manor house, otherwise all of 1483 with crownpost roof, screens passage and washbowl. Main block upper floor possibly mid 16th century, also stack with reused 12th century fireplace, possibly from Wereham or Westacre, and extension to east wing. West wing 18th century or 1812.
See (S1) and secondary file. Restored from dereliction.
E. Rose (NAU), 28 November 1985.
Former estate cottages belonging to Oxburgh Hall.
Parts of surviving building may pertain to a Chantry established in 1483 in the manor of Thomas Ode. Later additions and refurbishment. Re-used limestone ashlar, brick and clunch. East wing partly timber framed largely replaced with brick and flint. Roof partly of pantiles and partly without covering.
Main block with a 15th or 16th century side wing to east projecting to rear and an 18th century side wing to west projecting to front and rear. Through-passage plan with former screen and open hall to main block. Late medieval main block of one and a half storeys.
North facade mainly of ashlar with a chamfered plinth, blocked doorway to east, an inserted central doorway, two 18th century inserted windows and an original window with chamfered reveals partly blocked. Dentil cornice and two 20th century gabled dormers. Rear facade of brick with an ashlar plinth and dressings. Doorway to east with surviving wooden frame. Reduced original central window with chamfered reveal and an inserted 18th century frame beneath a segmental arch. Two later doorways. Three 20th century gabled dormers and one off-centre axial stack.
East wing formerly timber framed with one mutilated section surviving at junction with main block. Faced and replaced with brick and flint with brick dressings. Lengthened southward in brick during 17th century. This extension retains one blocked two-light chamfered mullion window in brick to rear. It also has ashlar quoins and plinth copings and gable with tumbling-in. East facade with two partly glazed panelled doors, five two-light 19th century casement windows with glazing bars and a dentil cornice. North end with one two-light mullion and transom window with glazing bars beneath a segmental arch with ashlar keystone. Internal stacks to south gable-end, northeast corner and rear wall. Two-storeyed west wing of brick with a brick and clunch north extension. Nearly symmetrical facade of four doorways with adjacent windows beneath segmental arches. Four first floor windows beneath modern soldier arches. Hipped roof and lean-to extension to south. Two axial stacks.
Interior. Main block. 15th century arched wash basin niche with broken-off bowl, hollow chamfered reveal with broach stops and a carved rose drain. Fireplace with re-used late 12th century moulded stone jambs consisting of shafts with a pair of scallop derived capitals. Late 16th century clasped purlin roof with braced collars. The ties have been sawn off and connected to inserted bridging joists with bolted struts. East wing has a crown post roof with braces to collar purlin and braced ties. West wing has a a re-used double-ogee moulded, bridging joist with chamfered common joists.
Information from (S2).
Proposed rear extension in the north-west corner.
See (S3) for further information
H. White (NLA) 12 December 2008
- CHANTRY CHAPEL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- HOUSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- MANOR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- CHANTRY CHAPEL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Sources and further reading
|---||Article in serial: Wood, R. 1999. The Chantry Certificates of Norfolk: Towards a Partial Reconstruction. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XLIII Pt II pp 287-306. |
|---||Graphic material: Various. Various. Architectural plans.. |
|---||Unpublished document: Listed Building Consent. |
|---||Archive: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TF 70 SW 9 . |
|---||Newspaper Article: Lynn News. 1985. Couple restore a medieval gem of a house.. 29 November. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1996. Ideal Home. 14 June. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Lynn News. 1994. The Old Hall.. 22 March. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Lynn News. 1990. Tudor Hall complete with font and secret passage.. 21 June. |
|---||Archive: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Oxborough. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Unpublished document: Rose, E.. 1985. Building Report.. |
|<S2>||Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest. |
|<S3>||Unpublished document: Parsons and Whittley Ltd.. 2008. Design and Access Statement. Rear Extension- The Old Hall, Chantry House, Oxborough. |
Related records - none
Find out more...