|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Possible Roman villa, Roman and medieval metal objects and pottery sherds|
Fieldwalking in 1987 recovered large amounts of Roman building materials, tiles and opus signinum suggesting that this area includes the site of a Roman period building, possibly a villa. Metal detecting from 1987 to 1989 recovered a number of coins, metal objects and pottery sherds, including fine wares, the large majority of which have been Roman in date.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 76 02|
|Parish:||OXBOROUGH, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
Northwest corner of field.
September 1987. Found with metal detector.
Coin of Victorinus, Antoninianus, PIETAS AVG, dating AD 268 to AD 270 (marked as no. 3 on S1).
Identified by A. Gregory (NAU).
A. Rogerson (NAU), October 1987.
October 1987. Area extended.
Roman coins, see list in secondary file.
Bronze Roman pin with swollen shank, head broken, cleaned down. Colchester brooch, one piece with fretted catchplate and axis rod. Bronze fragment, probably of foot of Roman cauldron or bucket. Bronze head of Roman stud from furniture or box. Bronze circular decorated cap with clips on underside. Fragment amphora shaped strap end, ring and dot decoration, 3rd to 4th century AD. Bronze circular harness pendant attachment stud.
Twelve medieval sherds. Roman coarseware, two Roman oxidised, four colour coated, one Samian.
Sherds in NCM, finder retains rest.
A. Rogerson (NAU), November 1987.
Scatter of building materials, tile, opus signinum suggesting site of building. Further details to follow in due course.
D. Gurney (NLA), 8 October 1991.
March to April 1989. Finds from fieldwalking and detecting.
Thirty-eight Roman coins. See list in secondary file. Identified by D. Gurney, (NLA).
Six samian sherds, greyware rim. Much possible Hadham ware flanged bowl copy samian F38 with painted
Iron key, probably Roman with circular loop and solid stem. Casket key, late medieval to early post medieval
D. Gurney (NLA).
Part of large scatter NHER 28671
- BUILDING (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- VILLA (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- BOX (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- BROOCH (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- COIN (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FURNITURE FITTING (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- KEY (LOCKING) (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- PIN (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- POT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- STRAP FITTING (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- STUD (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- TILE (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- UNIDENTIFIED OBJECT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- HARNESS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- KEY (LOCKING) (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- KEY (LOCKING) (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|---||Photograph: EQN 10,15-19. |
|<S1>||Map: Finder's Map.. |
Related records - none
Find out more...