|Type of record:||Find Spot|
|Name:||Multi period metal objects and pottery sherds|
Fieldwalking and metal detecting in this area during the period 1986-88 recovered a selection of pottery sherds and metal objects. Pottery types identified included Roman greyware and Saxon Thetford Ware. The metal objects comprised a post medieval lead weight, a Roman coin of Coin of Constantine I and a late medieval bronze rowel spur.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 24 25|
|Parish:||SKEYTON, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
April 1986. Found while fieldwalking. .
Roman greyware sherds.
Thetford type ware sherds, one with applied thumbstrip.
Finds held by NCM.
Identifications by W. F. Milligan (NCM) 7 April 1986.
W. F. Milligan (NCM) 7 April 1986.
Further medieval sherds, NCM as above.
Post medieval lead weight.
W. F. Milligan (NCM) 1986.
October- November 2009. Metal detecting.
Roman and medieval pottery and a medieval/post medieval roof tile.
See list in file,
A. Rogerson, (NLA), 17 December 2009
Coin of Constantine I, VICTORIAE LAETAE PRINC PERP AD 316-320.
Mid-late 1st century AD rear hook brooch.
Late medieval bronze rowel spur.
Identifications by A. Gregory (NAU) and S. Margeson (NCM).
W. Milligan (NCM) 23 November 1987.
Roman greyware sherds, including an overfired base.
Identified by A. Gregory (NAU).
W. Milligan (NCM) 4 March 1988.
- FINDSPOT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- BROOCH (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- COIN (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- POT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- POT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- ROOF TILE (Medieval to 19th Century - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- SPUR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- WEIGHT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
Related records - none
Find out more...