|Type of record:||Find Spot|
|Name:||Multi period metal objects and pottery sherds|
Metal detecting here during 1986-88 recovered a range of metalwork objects and pottery sherds. Finds of note included parts of two Early Saxon annular brooches, part of a Roman key, a jetton of Edward I, a medieval bronze buckle and a post medieval bronze openwork button.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 24 25|
|Parish:||SKEYTON, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Early Saxon bronze annular brooch fragment (photo NCM) and part of head-plate of cruciform brooch 500-550 AD (Identified by E. B. Green (NCM)).
Ipswich Ware sherd.
Roman bronze key handle.
Also 1st - 2nd century As and sestertius.
Held by finder, except sherd for sherd - held by NCM.
Identifications by A. Gregory (NAU) and S. Margeson (NCM).
W. F. Milligan (NCM) 13 February 1986.
Medieval sherds -held by NCM. Details as above.
W. F. Milligan (NCM) 13 March 1986.
Jetton Edward I?, as above.
16th century bronze openwork button.
Late Saxon bronze box mount 11th century, with quadruped - compare complete Ixworth example.
Photo taken by NCM. See (S1).
S. Margeson (NCM) and W. F. Milligan (NCM) 8 May 1986.
Another pennanular brooch fragment found Early Saxon, similar to that found 1986.
Gilt bronze 13th century buckle (polaroid NCM).
Identifications by S. Margeson (NCM).
W. Milligan (NCM) 22 March 1988.
- FINDSPOT (Roman to Post Medieval - 43 AD to 1900 AD)
- COIN (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- KEY (LOCKING) (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- BROOCH (Early Saxon - 411 AD to 650 AD)
- POT (Middle Saxon - 651 AD to 850 AD)
- BOX (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- BUCKLE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- TOKEN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- BUTTON (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|<S1>||Article in serial: Margeson, S. 1986. A Group of Late Saxon Mounts from Norfolk. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXXIX Pt III pp 323-327. |
Related records - none
Find out more...