|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Moat Farm, Bedingham - building and moat|
A medieval open hall timber framed house of the 16th century, with later 19th century additions of a brick skin and west wing. It is associated with moats/ponds.
|Grid Reference:||TM 2833 9103|
|Parish:||BEDINGHAM, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
March 1985. Visit.
Very fine medieval open hall house with three queenpost trusses, screens passage, service doors, solar stairs etc. Later inserted stack and floor. 19th century brick skin and west wing.
Derelict in 1985 owned by owner below but for sale.
Note Listing is grade III only so no protection at present. (Upgraded to II. E. Rose.)
See (S1) in file.
E. Rose (NAU) 19 August 1985.
November 1985. Listed, Grade II.
Farmhouse. 16thcentury with 19th century additions. Timber frame encased in 19th century colourwashed brick; steeply-pitched pantiled roof. Black-glazed pantiles on front elevation. Two storeys, L-shaped cross-passage plan. Three-window range. Two and three-light casements, 19th century and 20th century; ground floor openings have segmental heads. Off-centre axial chimney stack. Entrance door (not opposite stack) has six panels, the upper pair glazed. Gables rebuilt in brick with coped parapets. Casements in north gable. Later brick service wing to west with brick dentil eaves course and central chimney stack on ridge line.
Interior: cross passage remains with one four-centred doorway to service room (north end). Bay to south of cross passage has inserted 17th century floor on tie beam with stepped run-out chamfer stops on west side. East wall possibly rebuilt entirely in brick. Roof-contains three trusses with arch-braced tie beams supporting jowled queenposts with arch-braces to collars and purlins; remainder of roof structure probably 17th century. Under extensive repair at time of survey.
Information from (S2).
Site has appearance of two linked ponds. Owner says this is correct, he cut a channel to link ponds a few years ago. Pond cleaned out to 1.8m (6 feet) to reveal flint bottom. Legend say pond used for cattle, also house was moat hall, rather than moat.
H. Paterson (A&E), 3 July 2000.
Management Statement signed 15 July 2000.
See copy in office file.
H. Paterson (A&E) 24 August 2000.
- HALL HOUSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- MOAT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 200. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|---||Photograph: CTH 7-13, CVS 34-36. |
|---||Collection: Norfolk Historic Environment Record Staff. 1975-. HER Record Notes. Norfolk Historic Environment Service. |
|---||Designation: Department Of The Environment. 1882-1985. Department of the Environment Listing Notification. Notification. DNF8661. |
|<S1>||Unpublished Document: E. Rose. 1985. Building Report.. Building Report. |
|<S2>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1050608. |
Related records - none
Find out more...