|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Barn at Barmer Farm|
A 1754 red brick three bay threshing barn. It has honeycomb ventilation panels. In 1991, air photography revealed a deserted medieval village on this site.
Images - none
Dated 1754, English bond red brick, pantiled. 3 bay threshing barn with west catslide and east cart entrance. In south gable are 2 ground, 2 first and one attic brick grilles, with string courses and date plaque. Some chequerwork. 5 brick grilles in north gable and eight in east wall, four on each level. Later additions. 5 bay roof with wall posts, tiebeams and struts, 2 ranks of collars and 3 of butt purlins. Work of Robert Glover who built parts of Barwick House and Ivy Farm, Stanhoe.
Information from (S1).
E. Rose,(NAU) 27 November 1984.
23 July 1991. NLA air photography.
Deserted medieval village site.
D.A. Edwards (NLA) January 1993.
- DESERTED SETTLEMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- BARN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Aerial Photograph: TF8133 D-G. |
|<S1>||Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest. |
Related records - none
Find out more...