Record Details

NHER Number:20586
Type of record:Building
Name:The Old Rectory


A late medieval masonry house, with a first floor solar and well-preserved screen. Dendrochronology has established felling date of 1518 for roll moulded timber hall ceilng and fine two bay solar above. 16th century cross wing added and three parallel extensions added in 18th and 19th centuries. Pebble-dashed exterior. A mid 16th century coin was found in the house.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 0313 4343
Map Sheet:TG04SW

Full description

Georgian exterior covers an extremely well preserved timber framed house with first floor hall having arched braced tiebeams, and a well preserved screen.
See (S1).
E. Rose (NAU) 23 August 1984

1999. Circumstances of discovery uncertain.
Early post medieval coin.
Bullon liard of Francis I, King of France.
Second period, 1540 to 1547. (Duplessy 930).
Identified by [2].
A. Rogerson (NLA) 3 January 2000.

August 2011. Dendrochronological Survey.
Tree ring analysis of samples taken from timbers of the main and cross-wing roofs and from two timber ceilings. This analysis demonstrated that both the main and cross-wing roofs and the entrance hall ceiling all contain timber felled in 1518, suggesting construction of all three elements was contemporary.
See report (S1) for further details.
P. Watkins (HES), 29 June 2017.

January 2014. Field Observation.
Not a timber frame. Fine roll-moulded screen and hall ceiling with display truss to solar dated to 1518. Cross wing of similar yet later date.
S. Heywood. 31 January 2014

Monument Types

  • HOUSE (16th Century to 19th Century - 1518 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • COIN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1373978.
---Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TG 04 SW 30.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
<S1>Unpublished Contractor Report: Arnold, A. and Howard, R. 2012. Tree-ring Analysis of Timbers from The Old Rectory, Blakeney, Wiveton Road, Norfolk. Nottingham Tree-ring Dating Laboratory.

Related records

47482Parent of: Barn northwest of The Old Rectory (Building)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2020 Norfolk Historic Environment Service