|Type of record:||Monument|
The earthworks here have been described as relating to an Iron Age hillfort or Bronze Age saucer barrow. However, investigation of the site has determined that the remains most likely relate to a medieval ringwork castle. Such ringworks are rare, but this example is in a typical location overlooking the surrounding area and the road to the south. Over the years a number of artefacts have been recovered from this site including Roman coins, medieval tiles and a Neolithic flint scraper and axehead.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 9147 3979|
|Parish:||WIGHTON, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Variously described as a hillfort and saucer barrow. Roman coins claimed.
Revised schedule describes as a medieval ringwork.
1934. Neolithic scatter found.
1935. Building material found.
1959. Flint axe found.
For full details and schedule see secondary file.
E. Rose (NAU) 14 May 1980.
See NAU report in file 35996.
D. Gurney (NLA) 22 August 2002.
- ENCLOSURE (Unknown date)
- CAUSEWAYED RING DITCH (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)
- ROUND BARROW (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- HILLFORT (Iron Age - 800 BC to 42 AD)
- BUILDING (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- RINGWORK (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)
- POLISHED AXEHEAD (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)
- COIN (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- ROOF TILE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Sources and further reading
|---||Aerial Photograph: TF 9139A, D-F. |
|---||Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1995. TF9039/C - E; TF9139/G. |
|---||Unpublished document: NAU. 2000. NAU Report No. 532. Holkham Estate Survey.. |
|---||Archive: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Neolithic. Wighton . |
|---||Archive: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Roman. Wighton. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Serial: Bryant. Norfolk Churches, North Greenhoe Hundred.. |
Related records - none
Find out more...